ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Removing Short Staples

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Removing Short Staples   Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:56 pm

This hint is for removing staples from radio cabinets, or just about anything.

I needed to remove some T50 staples yesterday, and didn't have a screwdriver or pliers with me. (I was on top of the roof & was too lazy to climb back down to get the pliers & nail puller.).

I took a ring shank nail, one with the larger head- turned it upside down, and gently tapped the head under the staple. It came out quickly and easily. I was able to grab it with my fingers and pulled it out the rest of the way.

So far, this trick has worked on staples up to 3/8" embedded in Fir/ Hemlock based plywood.
 With a little care, you won't scar the wood either.

The secret is the larger head ring shank nails have a nicely tapering head on the underside, and it works well as a "wedge" to slide under the wide part of the staple and lift it up.

(BTW, I counted up the number of staples pulled this way from the used underlayment and it was 78! This method really worked great. No ripped open hands, knees, or rump this time. Smile ).
Back to top Go down

Removing Short Staples
Page 1 of 1