ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Elgin R-1100 Repair

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Elgin R-1100 Repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elgin R-1100 Repair   Elgin R-1100 Repair I_icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2018, 9:11 am

I Think the most obvious though, is the electrolytic capacitors need replacement as they open or short out not allowing the signal through.

You say the dial does not change, it may be a broken dial string. Try and take the radio, turn it on and go to another radio tuned to the same band (AM Broadcast Band) turn on the second radio also, bring it next to the second radio. Tune the Elgin up and down through the frequency range. If you don't get a squeal, the look to the oscillator section for problems. If you have a signal tracer you can start at the Audio and work back to the front end. That should get you pointed to the troubled section. A crystal earphone and a small signal diode and capacitor hooked in series would work as a signal tracer.

Elgin R-1100 Repair Empty
PostSubject: Elgin R-1100 Repair   Elgin R-1100 Repair I_icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2018, 7:38 am

I'm new to repairs, but I'm a ham, so I have some elecrtonics background. I picked up an Elgin R-1100 recently, and I'm working to complete repairs. I tested the audio section by inserting an audio signal between ground and the volume pot, and it works nicely (well, you know, it's scratchy, but there's nothing that some contact cleaner won't fix). 

The tuning capacitor moves with the tuning knob through what looks as though it might be the full range, but the dial does not change, and I'm not tuning in any stations. 

My next thinking involves either going down the path of inserting an rf source in the rf section or just going through the rf section with a multi-meter.  I don't have an rf generator, exactly, and I don't have a schematic for the radio.

What's the next step I should take?  Go through rf section with the VOM and look for obvious opens/shorts, or is there a trick I'm missing?
Back to top Go down

Elgin R-1100 Repair
Page 1 of 1