ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wildcat445
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater   July 7th 2018, 2:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have been looking for a Stereo Theater for about three years.  There were not that many built, and, unfortunately, the console rapers and guitar amp crowd has parted many of them out for the amplifier, typically a 9300 series 15 WPC tube affair.  This thing has proven more elusive than a Concert Grand was.  Combine this with the fact that the TV is black and white, this makes their survival chances rather slim.

I have no idea why I thought I wanted one.  I certainly do not NEED one.  They are such a work of art and a statement of pinache and class than they have always intrigued me.  And it fills a gap in my Magnavox collection.  The one I got is a circa 1962 model 1MR418M, equipped with factory ultrasonic remote control.  Rather a bizarre system, really.  The remote only controls the TV, oddly enough.  The factory price of $795 put this Stereo Theater in the price range between my Imperial at $695 and the Concert Grand at $995.  The Stereo Theater came standard with MPX adapter, while the other Magnavox stereos had optional MPX at $35.  If you had either indoor plumbing or a three-hole privy, wall-to-wall carpeting and a Stereo Theater, you was rich folks!  If you had this stuff plus air conditioning, you was REALLY rich folks!

This Stereo Theater electronically will be between the Symphony and the Imperial.  It is basically a little Imperial with a 27" TV set in the middle of the cabinet.  This particular instrument is said to have a nasty hum in the audio, which will be my first area of investigation.  The top of the cabinet rails have had a hard life for some reason and the cabinet could use a thorough cleaning.  If I can figure out how to add a couple pictures, I'll do that.  I am going to give this thing a thorough restoration, every part.  If there is interest, I'll share my progress with you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This instrument is 32" high, 19" deep and 60" long, two inches longer than the Concert Grand.  While other manufacturers were making "aircraft carriers" sometimes up to 8' long, Magnavox kept the cabinets reasonable in size.  I'm told this weighs north of 200 pounds, but it is on casters, like most of Magnavox's big sets.  The inside of the cabinet is crammed with electronics and lots of dangling wires.

AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater   August 23rd 2018, 9:51 am

Remember the wire may be hair thin in size.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater   August 23rd 2018, 9:55 am

Got it.  Thank you.  I believe that will be the method I use.  I can control alcohol better with a brush than I can water.  The front of this chassis is not too bad, but the backside is really dusty and sticky with cigarette scum.  I believe I can use alcohol liberally and safely on the backside of the chassis.  The spring on the CRT that grounds the Aquadag coating looks Mickey Mouse to me.  Looks like somebody used an old screen door spring and stretched the waddin' out of it.  Any ideas on a suitable replacement?

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater   August 23rd 2018, 10:04 am

really not into TVs, but I imagine that the Black coating you are calling Aquadag is one and the same correct?
I would think if you were to browse the web for TV collectors forums you may hit pay-dirt. If I remember most were the size of springs for closing storm doors and screen doors. Even hardware stores may carry a selection such as Ace Hardware or Home Depot. another choice may to look at an online Granger Catalog.
click here for an example

Last edited by Cliff Jones on August 23rd 2018, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater   August 23rd 2018, 10:11 am

If it's the connector that fits into the recess in the CRT wall, That is how they look.  If you want to replace it with another like it, there is one on this page.  A good source for things you might need for the set.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater   August 23rd 2018, 10:22 am

Also there is one spring as a maybe would work from the aforementioned surplus sales place.?

Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater   August 23rd 2018, 10:30 am

That place has lots of goodies.  Wonder why I never heard of them?  You always were good at finding stuff..... Very Happy

Technician
Technician

PostSubject: Re: My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater   August 23rd 2018, 10:31 am

That looks better than what I have now.  I can't believe the kluge that is there now is factory.

PostSubject: Re: My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater   

Back to top Go down

My new old Magnavox Stereo Theater
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2