ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Cabinet Repair sticks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Cabinet Repair sticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cabinet Repair sticks   Cabinet Repair sticks I_icon_minitimeMay 11th 2019, 6:26 pm

Thanks Chas, for the info.

I know what you mean about the loss of knowledge. No one to pass it onto here either.
Most of the younger generation have no appreciation of the history and "Old time tech". What a waste.
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Cabinet Repair sticks   Cabinet Repair sticks I_icon_minitimeMay 11th 2019, 8:15 am

Frank,

I searched Google with these terms [Shellac cabinet repair sticks]

Here ya go:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Video how too...

Colors of the rainbow:

Here is an Amazon offering:

Here is more Amazon, AmPro & Mohawk

I think if you poke around you may find the alcohol lamp.

I found one at a yard sale YA but ebay still has them:  eBay item number: 222154274855

You want the faceted one so it can be set on its side, an accidental drip of shellac will land on the bench, not all over the lamp...

Need spare wicks too, be sure they fit:  Item: 181468035453

There is a community of furniture craftsman out there and the supplies are very much available.

Very OT

YA my neighbor did furniture building and restoration, As boy, I leaned a little bit of everything from him. Sure kept me out of trouble... He was a master craftsman, did it all, from design to delivery of finished work... Too bad we all get old, I miss him...

I still have a newspaper article of him from 1977, I was 40 then, he was deep into retirement, I, married, two kids and moved away from his shop. I never saw him but once or twice after '73...

Wife and I decided to get gravestones cleaned so had to visit a couple of plots, accidentally found his marker. It all came back with a silent prayer.

Ya know, what is sadder still? I have no one to pass-on all I have learned. Another life-time of skills will go under a stone marker...

Chas
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Cabinet Repair sticks   Cabinet Repair sticks I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2019, 10:20 pm

General Cement Co, AKA GC made a fantastic kit of lacquer sticks many years back.
 It included, IIRC, about a dozen different colored sticks. You heated the stick with an alcohol lamp and put the lacquer on the damaged spot.
  The kit included buffing cloth, fine sandpaper, and a few other items.
 I do think one kit even had the lamp with it.
 I have pieces of 2-3 of the kits. I think they made different size kits too.
 Even back then they were not cheap. 

My first Radio employer had one of the kits and was a wizard with it. He could fill out a deep dent in a wood cabinet so you would never see it, unless you gave it a very detailed look under a magnifying glass.
 (Yes, people had the local radio/TV shop repair damaged cabinets in days gone by).

I did see one kit for furniture that the lacquer sticks had a wick in them, similar to some sealing wax sticks. (I AM showing my age, remembering that, aren't I?)

These are extremely hard to find now days, as GC quit production of them decades back.

Likely another company is producing a similar product currently. A local woodworking store may have info on that.

These kits took some skill to use, unlike today's "Marker" type repair where you just paint on a stain in a "pen"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cabinet Repair sticks   Cabinet Repair sticks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cabinet Repair sticks
Page 1 of 1