ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

CRT Boosters and CRT Booster/Isolaters

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

CRT Boosters and CRT Booster/Isolaters Empty
PostSubject: CRT Boosters and CRT Booster/Isolaters   CRT Boosters and CRT Booster/Isolaters I_icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2019, 6:44 pm

Back when sets had CRT's, especially up into the 70's, CRT replacement was not cheap. To replace a CRT with a new one could run from about $50.00-400.00+ in 70's money, depending if it was B&W or Color.

As emission of the CRT dropped  in B&W CRT's the picture could become "silvery" or really washed out. In color, the color could be really weak in one gun or it wouldn't track with the other guns.

Enter the CRT Booster for B&W TV
 Basically it was a small transformer with a 6.3V primary and a secondary that  (In some cases was adjustable) up to appx. 8-10V.
 Some were auto-transformers and some were isolated secondary windings.
 Boosting the filament voltage would increase the emission, thereby bringing back the picture to a watchable level in most cases.

In theory, this would shorten the life of the CRT, but what did you have to lose? $2.95 for a booster, or $50+ for a CRT, plus the labor to install it.

They made boosters in many types. For B&W & Color in series and parallel filament configurations. (Last I remembered, there were 28 different types made by just one company alone!). Many had to be tailored for a specific CRT's requirements.

They also made isolation transformer and isolation boosters for CRT's with Heater to Cathode shorts. Sometimes you didn't need the boost, bust the isolation. Some had a switch built in for 'series or parallel" filament.

Some were pretty large for the early color CRT's and some of the latter I bought were literally potted in the end cap of PVC pipe. 
(I used a lot of these on the imported CRT's.)

Now you ask, could you boost a booster?
 Yes, you could.
 I myself have seen as many as 3 plugged together in series, but one shop back East had reported they found 11 - YES ELEVEN! in series.
 (That set owner sure drug every particle of emission they could out of that poor old set! Shocked Shocked Shocked ).
Back to top Go down

CRT Boosters and CRT Booster/Isolaters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Radio Repair Bench :: Radio parts, Tools, and supplies. :: ElectronTubes-
Jump to: