ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

WHat is this variable cap off of?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ve1arn
ve1arn

WHat is this variable cap off of? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHat is this variable cap off of?   WHat is this variable cap off of? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Here ya go Cliff,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: WHat is this variable cap off of?   WHat is this variable cap off of? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 6:57 pm

IMHO I "think" this may be from an electrical laboratory. The face plate long gone that gave the capacitance in an exact reading.

I got a lovely G-R precision variable cap, however, much later, but sure looks slick. Makes me want to use it as part of a "huge" BC radio with a "precision" inductor...

Chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: WHat is this variable cap off of?   WHat is this variable cap off of? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Are there insulators anywhere?
The slider with the spring looks like it slides along the frame on one side and the other finger slides across a narrow flat strip opposite. Is there an insulator under the strip?

Something is on the end of the back it looks like a solder tab, is it?
Somewhere there has to be another insulator to isolate the plates from one another.

Possibly a  tunable spark gap?

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: WHat is this variable cap off of?   WHat is this variable cap off of? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 5:14 pm

Unusual looking variable capacitor alright. Looks like it might have come out of a frequency meter of some kind. A fairly high frequency one. Possibly was part of some military radio communications equipment. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Rod
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: WHat is this variable cap off of?   WHat is this variable cap off of? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Went through another box of stuff I had packed away and forgot I had this goodie. Total length without the knob is just under 6 inches. The silver colored knob is screwed in to act as a lock to prevent the cap from being adjusted.

This is the only identifier on this cap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHat is this variable cap off of?   WHat is this variable cap off of? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WHat is this variable cap off of?
Page 1 of 1