ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

My first License

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2020, 10:46 am

Rod Clay wrote:
Yes. That is right. Well, partly because my sister Marsha lives here in Oroville. Our mother was from the Oroville/Thermolito area. I like Lynchburg too and still exchange cards with one of my old neighbors there on Washington Street. That is where I had my house and my Dad and his sisters and one of his brothers all lived right there at 609, 611, 613 and 617 Washington Street. I'll have to stay put in Oroville now. A QSO between us will probably have to be on 20 meters unless 10 meters opens up some time hi, hi.
73, Rod (Roderick)  WB6FBF
I don't have my HF antennas up right now and will most likely wait for warmer weather.  When I'm ready I will let you know and try a QSO on 20 meters.
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2020, 10:44 am

Cliff Jones wrote:
I took the Plunge and now am studying for My General Class License.
The Question Bank may Change after June 30, 2019 so I had better get going. I did purchase 3 books,

N3FJP's Amateur Exam STUDY PROGRAM 4.1

HERE'S A link IF YOUR INTERESTED.
click Here for Program download
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It has all the bells and whistle's
Technician portion, General Portion, and Extra
It allows you several option buttons AT THE BOTTOM of the screen which are:

(HINT) - (PREVIOUS) - (NEXT) - (BACK 20) - (FORWARD 20) - (RANDOM) - (LEAST CORRECT) - (RESET HISTORY).

IT SHOWS FOUR ANSWERS WHICH ARE SHOWN IN 4 ROWS with the answer button beside each A,B,C,D.
At the top of the screen are shown ( TOTAL CORRECT) =, (TOTAL INCORRECT)=, (PERCENTAGE)=  (%THAT ARE CORRECT)

It gives on the next line below that the QUESTION #  and references  the F.C.C number in brackets [ ******* ]
On the block below that is the actual question.
OH! I almost forgot to Add this. It has a Frequency Band with Modes of operation and actual frequencies shown for each MODE.

I find it very useful.
This fellow's name is Scott, he is a fine, upstanding ham. Many clubs use his modestly priced field day logging software. You can also pay a one time fee of $49 and have lifetime access to all his software and updates. I've talked with him several times, he is very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2020, 12:51 pm

Yes. That is right. Well, partly because my sister Marsha lives here in Oroville. Our mother was from the Oroville/Thermolito area. I like Lynchburg too and still exchange cards with one of my old neighbors there on Washington Street. That is where I had my house and my Dad and his sisters and one of his brothers all lived right there at 609, 611, 613 and 617 Washington Street. I'll have to stay put in Oroville now. A QSO between us will probably have to be on 20 meters unless 10 meters opens up some time hi, hi.
73, Rod (Roderick)  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2020, 9:30 am

Rod, from Lynchburg VA to California?   What caused you to move?  I love Lynchburg!
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2019, 5:23 am

It's great to be able to get the call you want. When I got my call, VE1ARN back in 1984, I was only allowed to do CW. So when I went through the list of available calls, I chose the ARN suffix since it was alternating dits and dahs all the way. Easier to send than other combinations. I'm kinda lazy that way.  Very Happy Razz
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2019, 10:40 am

It's a good call. My old one (also from 4 land) was N4QNX which I held for about 30 years before getting WB6FBF back. QTH was Lynchburg, Virginia. An old friend I had back there from North Carolina was K4LWR. We called him Long Winded Robbie hi, hi.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2019, 1:19 pm

K4 and my initials!   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2019, 7:16 pm

K4 Left Right March?
lol
Good on getting the call.
7'
Frank
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2019, 3:58 pm

Thank you everyone! Smile 

My call sign is K4LRM in case anyone wants to do a look-up.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2019, 3:13 pm

Congrats Mezlaw! Welcome to the club!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2019, 1:35 pm

I noticed cliff mentioned [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in an earlier post.   This hams name is Scott, I've talked with him on many occasions.  Scott does a wonderful job with developing software, we use his product for field day logging.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2019, 11:41 pm

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2019, 7:09 pm

Well done MEZLAW!!! study

Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2019, 9:15 am

Just an update on my license.  Back in Sept. I took and passed the test for General.  On Oct. 19th I took and passed the test for Amateur Extra.    Now it's on to VE certification.
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2018, 2:49 am

Here is a link to our club website;

Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2018, 11:33 am

I tried this one also and its pretty good also.

Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2018, 5:51 am

I should have gotten my license years ago.  A few years back I made a new friend in town and he found out about my interest in radios.  He and another guy in town started an amatuer radio club and he talked me into it. In 2016 I got my Tech. license and decided to also study for the general.

Here is a link to a great study site;
  http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

It does have a very modest cost but worth it!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Now going for My General   My first License I_icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2018, 9:49 am

I took the Plunge and now am studying for My General Class License.
The Question Bank may Change after June 30, 2019 so I had better get going. I did purchase 3 books,

2 from A.R.R.L. General Class License Manual and General Class Q & A booklet, for $63.40

I also Purchased a 3rd Booklet by Gorden West, WB6NOA 2015-2019 FCC Element 3 Amateur Radio License Preparation,  Booklet for About $32.00 (I passed my Technicians Exam using Gorden West's book back in 1986.)

I am not that Impressed with the A.R.R.L. Q & A book (kinda dry IMHO absolutely no visual diagrams or illustrations) My score = [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The other two are Great!!!!!!!!.  My score = Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven

I also Downloaded a Free Program but Norton's refused to let it download as it was an EX type file so I had to circumvent the block just till I could get it down-loaded then raised my blocker back up.

I reasoned if His call sign was valid He would get in big trouble if the program was anything but reliable.
N3FJP's Amateur Exam STUDY PROGRAM 4.1

HERE'S A link IF YOUR INTERESTED.
click Here for Program download

It has all the bells and whistle's
Technician portion, General Portion, and Extra
It allows you several option buttons AT THE BOTTOM of the screen which are:

(HINT) - (PREVIOUS) - (NEXT) - (BACK 20) - (FORWARD 20) - (RANDOM) - (LEAST CORRECT) - (RESET HISTORY).

IT SHOWS FOUR ANSWERS WHICH ARE SHOWN IN 4 ROWS with the answer button beside each A,B,C,D.
At the top of the screen are shown ( TOTAL CORRECT) =, (TOTAL INCORRECT)=, (PERCENTAGE)=  (%THAT ARE CORRECT)

It gives on the next line below that the QUESTION #  and references  the F.C.C number in brackets [ ******* ]
On the block below that is the actual question.
OH! I almost forgot to Add this. It has a Frequency Band with Modes of operation and actual frequencies shown for each MODE.

I find it very useful.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 11:33 pm

I understand that that transmitter is a real workhorse 400 w P-P.
Keep us posted as to what you do, Hoping some other Hams to will respond, Google will pick up this post in a couple of days and will then be search-able for other hams looking for EF Johnson.
PS We do Have a Ham area for posting. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Vintage AM Hams in Southern Nevada   My first License I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 10:19 pm

Hey all, I'm Dave, KF7JAF and I'm restoring an old Johnson Viking II. Any other Vintage AM rig restorers out there?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

My first License Empty
PostSubject: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2011, 12:34 pm

When I was in Southern California, I had a great Elmer who lived in Garden Grove, Ed Corbin.
I received my First License and it was published Radio Amateur Callbook Magazine 50th Anniversary Edition.
WA6ICO.
I let it lapse after moving to the Northwest.
I took the Exam again in about 1997 and passed with about 20 others at Olympic College. Very Happy

My first License Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first License   My first License I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first License
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Shortwave and Amateur Radio :: Amateur Radio-
Jump to: