ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF   Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF I_icon_minitimeMay 7th 2020, 2:25 pm

Cliff,
I watched TomTektest's video and he did a good job of explaining the capacitive reactance vs. internal resistance problem regarding electrolytic capacitors especially for older capacitors that have been sitting around for a while. He also showed that the same results can be achieved with the older cap testers like the EICO 950 and others. The results one gets for PF for capacitors vs. ESR are related to the fact that the test frequency in the older testers is 60 Hz and 100 kHz or so in the newer testers. 

He also pointed out that such ESR tests are most valuable for equipment that operates at higher frequencies like switching power supplies that function at 20 kHz and higher (15 kHz in the old solid state TV flyback transformer power supplies). 

He also demonstrated a couple of different popular ESR testers. One used a built-in chart and LED bar graph to to indicate the capacitor's condition while the other used a digital readout and requires some prior experience with good vs. bad caps or a separate chart to guide the user.

In regards to the test results he got for those two sets of 3.3uF 50V caps I would add this:
1. Even low voltage electrolytics may need reforming if they have been sitting for some time. This may have helped with the DC leakage the larger of the two sets of caps appeared to have. 2. Caps that have lost capacitance need not be tested further.

One does gain valuable experience in working with test equipment over a period of time. It may be worth trying one of the new ESR testers. In the meantime, I'll have to stick with my EICO testers hi, hi.

73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF   Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF I_icon_minitimeMay 7th 2020, 9:07 am

I don't use a unit that has ESR function. I use a Fluke 113 Multimeter and an HP 4263 Bridge,

(I also have 3 E.S.I. model 250 bridges but have never used them or tested them.)

I don't know that the newer digital units in the video are dependable for high voltage caps,

There are some older units that were made by :

EICO 950B RESISTANCE - CAPACITANCE - COMPARATOR BRIDGE

Heathkit IT-11 or IT-28, Capacitor Checker,

---------------
Here an informative video:

Beginning Member
radiorich

PostSubject: Re: Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF   Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF I_icon_minitimeMay 6th 2020, 10:25 pm

Hello Cliff,
nice video and I also have some capacitors that have been sitting for while too .
I have a old Sencore LC53 that I am repairing at this moment it stopped work about some years  ago  but I finally working on it .
I want to get a new tester since the sencore does value and leakage but not ESR.
Sincerely Rich
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF   Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF I_icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2020, 1:36 pm

Examples demonstrated on whats the difference .

Title of Video:
TTT133 ESR & Power Factor

tomtektest  - 4.95K subscribers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF   Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats this is all about ESR vs. PF
Page 1 of 1