ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Help. What to do with an old console?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

Help. What to do with an old console? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help. What to do with an old console?   Help. What to do with an old console? I_icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2020, 2:35 pm

When it comes to console stereos, tube ones generally sell well, but solid state ones, unless they are ultra high end in perfect condition, aren't worth much.  If that one is tube, it would probably bring as much as $100 not working.  Cabinet condition is the next consideration.  That one is not the best, but might improve considerably with a good cleaning and treatment.  The fact that it;s a "modern" cabinet is in your favor.  You need to find out exactly what you have.  

Does it say "solid state" or "all transistor" on the dial plate anywhere?  If not, Packard Bell is a mid-line make that might have some interest if it is tube.  If it is solid state, you might be lucky to be able to give it away.  Sorry, but there is just not much collector interest in solid state console stereos.  Magnavox and Zenith might be the exception to that rule, but that's not what you have.  Good luck.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Help. What to do with an old console?   Help. What to do with an old console? I_icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2020, 8:14 am

PlayersClubLTD wrote:
Thanks both of you. That is what I expected to hear. What I really want is to find it a home instead of the dump. I will try Craig's list for a dollar, right? Just come and get it and it is yours. If you hear of anyone who is interested, please contact me again.
You might also try the Antique Radio Forum:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You will have to register, there a day or so wait to post. Search for how to post images.

Suggestion: Use a different user name.

This is the link to the Classifieds:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ARF is a high traffic site, there may well be an interested collector nearby...

There has been gaining interest in these units because of the resurgence of vinyl records. New record players are boutique items commanding a premium.

This is the "new" Grammas record player. Good brand, certainly not a Lloyds or Craigs, though there are followers for them for sure...

I had a Voice of Music bought in '68 good player, never failed for 25 years except for needles and one cart. It went in my divorce Rolling Eyes

Good Luck, please do not trash it, they don't and won't make them any more...

Do keep it dry, much use of pressed composite wood, one night in the rain and it will be mush...

Chas
Back to top Go down
PlayersClubLTD
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Help. What to do with an old console?   Help. What to do with an old console? I_icon_minitimeMay 1st 2020, 7:27 pm

Thanks both of you. That is what I expected to hear. What I really want is to find it a home instead of the dump. I will try Craig's list for a dollar, right? Just come and get it and it is yours. If you hear of anyone who is interested, please contact me again.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Help. What to do with an old console?   Help. What to do with an old console? I_icon_minitimeMay 1st 2020, 10:01 am

Well you really need to find out if it really works. However you need to replace the power supply capacitors before turning it on. Otherwise you will have a piece of furniture. If you don't want to try it out then you will not get much for it. It's to big and bulky for the average person to want.  If it works however without needed repairs, you may have moderate success. The best place to sell is with stereo buffs and audio affectionadoes. There are audio nuts on the web.

I don't think you will get much for it unless you make sure its in perfect condition play-wise.

$20-$40 tops if not working, The price for a good unit may climb to $50 to $100 tops.

You can always sell in bits and pieces, Speakers, Cabinet, phono, etc.

There isn't much call for consoles. But for stereo Component systems that's another story.

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Help. What to do with an old console?   Help. What to do with an old console? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2020, 10:55 pm

There are collectors out there that like the Packard Bell, Magnavox and Zenith radio-phono combinations. It will need servicing before any use. Keep that in mind. The phonograph requires specialized, knowledgeable care to get it going reliably. The AM/FM radio and amplifier servicing is more straight forward. Spend a little time working up a description of it. Mention you have the paper work on it. Try listing it on Craig's List and eBay too - local pick up only of course - no shipping. A "buy it now" listing on eBay could be set up and run until it sells. I can't suggest a price for it. Look at others listed and come up with a fair price from that. Priced too high, it could sit for a long time with no sale. Good luck.
Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
PlayersClubLTD
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Help. What to do with an old console?   Help. What to do with an old console? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2020, 6:34 pm

Sorry, I joined just for this issue. I inherited a 1965 Bell Packard RPC-39C that works as far as I know. It has been in storage for 25 years and has seen some wear. I hate to throw it away. Does it have any value or would anyone even want it? I live in Seattle area. I have my Mother in law's bill of sale and all paperwork. Please advise.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help. What to do with an old console?   Help. What to do with an old console? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help. What to do with an old console?
Page 1 of 1