ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Liquid tape

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2013, 3:59 pm

I just bought a 4-oz. container of Liquid Tape (now a product of GB, formerly of Permatex). The price at my local Walmart was $4.44, plus 27 cents Michigan state sales tax. At my local hardware store the identical item costs almost $8.00, plus almost 48 cents tax. Yes, Walmart does have "always lowest price."
Back to top Go down
Rickey
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts
Rickey

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 3:59 am

NT9K wrote:
Harbor Freight sells it cheap too and in different colors. While I wouldn't use it for any radio work, I do often use it outdoors for antennas. Works great for insulating dipole center connections and for sealing antenna wires in places where I've had to lengthen them. Once I was weed eating and nicked the outer jacket of a coax, just the outer cover. The liquid tape worked great for that and it's held up real well over the past few years, even in the hot Florida sun. No electrical tape could have held up under those conditions. So, liquid tape does have some advantages.
Thanks, for the info!

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 2:43 am

Harbor Freight sells it cheap too and in different colors. While I wouldn't use it for any radio work, I do often use it outdoors for antennas. Works great for insulating dipole center connections and for sealing antenna wires in places where I've had to lengthen them. Once I was weed eating and nicked the outer jacket of a coax, just the outer cover. The liquid tape worked great for that and it's held up real well over the past few years, even in the hot Florida sun. No electrical tape could have held up under those conditions. So, liquid tape does have some advantages.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2012, 10:56 pm

I just found out that liquid tape is WAY Cheaper at a home DIY big box store, rather than buying the GC small glass bottle of it.
I got almost 3-4 times tha amount at less than 1/2 the price the local electronic parts wholesaler is getting for it.
Also it comes in a bigger METAL can- not the glass bottle that can break when you drop it or easily get knocked over on your bench ruining a bunch of stuff. ....DON'T ASK Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Rickey
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts
Rickey

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2011, 5:59 am

Thanks!

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2011, 9:08 am

One thing that Liquid tape is good for is weatherproofing RF connectors. Apply first then use a double back electrical tape over the connectors. The Navy used this method for outside antennas.

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2011, 12:47 pm

Electrical tape is is fine in most cases, it's quick, easy and effective. The downside is that after a few years, tape can dry out and become brittle, especially in a high heat environment (like inside of a tube radio). It will also leave everything a sticky mess if you ever have to remove it. I use heat shrink in my radios because it lasts longer, looks better and if I ever have to work on it again, I won't have glue all over my fingers.
Dave
Back to top Go down
Rickey
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts
Rickey

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2011, 11:19 am

Thanks Dave, is electrical tape ok to use,i was not sure?
Back to top Go down

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2011, 5:58 am

Most electrical supply store should have it. I've used it on several projects, but didn't really care much for it. It's nice in tight spaces where it's hard to get tape on. The liquid goes on fairly thin, so I don't trust it unless it's built up with a few coats. I'd rather just use tape or heat shrink, that way I know it's well insulated & don't have to wait for it dry.
Dave
Back to top Go down
Rickey
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts
Rickey

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2011, 3:29 am

Where can you get liquid tape? Would I use it very much?
Thanks, Rickey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Liquid tape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid tape   Liquid tape I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Liquid tape
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Radio Repair Bench :: Radio parts, Tools, and supplies. :: Hardware-
Jump to: