ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Suggestions wanted please........

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ve1arn
ve1arn

Suggestions wanted please........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions wanted please........   Suggestions wanted please........ I_icon_minitimeApril 11th 2023, 3:35 am

Thanks for the tips guys. My variac went kaput a while back, so I'm looking for another one. 

I have a few transformers packed away somewhere. Once the weather warms up a bit, I need to go through them if, for nothing else, just to see what stuff I still have. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a couple that fit the need. It's time I thinned out my stuff anyway.  Smile

Come to think of it, it's been a while since I posted this. I have to remember where I put the iron. I totally forgot about it. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions wanted please........   Suggestions wanted please........ I_icon_minitimeApril 10th 2023, 10:32 pm

Use a 110 to 220 volt step up transformer. or hook up two 110 to 110 isolation transformers in phase in series.
 I doubt it draws much more than 2 amps or so.

I should add that you can use a 110 to 220 step up transformer in reverse, but pay attention to the primary winding capacity, as you will be using it backwards. Radio Shack used to carry them before they flopped, so they should be cheap. We used one in the shop backwards to fix 220 powered commercial equipment.

The 220-220 industrial isolation tx are pretty common.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions wanted please........   Suggestions wanted please........ I_icon_minitimeApril 10th 2023, 6:40 pm

Use A Variac, Line frequency doesn't matter as its a resistive Load frequency. Is your variac 220v?

Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions wanted please........   Suggestions wanted please........ I_icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2020, 8:32 am

Use a step-up transformer. Either store bought or homebrew from the junque box.

Some examples: Two filament transformers of at least 3 amps one with twice the filament than the other. Hooked back to back will give the 220 volts at some 2 amps, losses.

An industrial control transformer, most are "universal" voltage in and out at least 1 kva, more or less...

Other combinations of transformer are possible as well as an auto-transformer. Do note the actual power needed so device selection will be adequate.

There is one advantage to a transformer lash up unless an auto-transformer is used, complete isolation of the iron from the line for what ever relief that gives.

I, would not even consider a direct connection to 220/240 volts. That may be they way it is in other countries but it is not only the shock hazard but the current limiting...

Put it out for the Yard-Sale Rolling Eyes

Chas
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Suggestions wanted please........   Suggestions wanted please........ I_icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2020, 7:31 am

Hi gang,

I bought one of those de-soldering irons off eBay. The kind with the iron and plunger style solder sucker in it. I specifically asked for the US type plug, which I got, however, the iron is still one rated at 220 volt. I wrote to them and got an immediate refund and was told I could keep the iron.

Just looking for any possibilities of modifying it to work on US voltage since I still have it?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions wanted please........   Suggestions wanted please........ I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions wanted please........
Page 1 of 1