ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

3 G Wireless is going Away

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

3 G Wireless is going Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 G Wireless is going Away   3 G Wireless is going Away I_icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2022, 5:34 pm

FrankB wrote:
I cant afford $1K or more for a fone with more features that I will never use. Or understand.
I can't either. Over two years ago, when I saw the writing on the wall, I bought a new 4G LG Android smartphone from my carrier for $40. It doesn't have a huge screen, but I don't browse or stream movies with it. My plan costs $20 a month with limited carryover data which I bank for emergencies. I use my phone for the unlimited talk and text that my plan provides. I also use it to store and use a bunch of files, such as inventories of my ~3,000 CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays, as well as my ~20,000 books. I do most of my shopping for all of those items used at Goodwill, used bookstores, and music stores that carry used CDs and used video, and carrying full inventories keeps be from buying something that I already own. I am retired on a very tight budget and try not to waste money.

FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: 3 G Wireless is going Away   3 G Wireless is going Away I_icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2022, 3:59 pm

It's great if you have the money to replace the phone.  likely I'll just go back to landline. I cant afford $1K or more for a fone with more features that I will never use. Or understand.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: 3 G Wireless is going Away   3 G Wireless is going Away I_icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2022, 4:42 am

FrankB wrote:
Thereby forcing the cell phone customers to spend hundreds of dollars buying new phones, like happened to me with T Mobile a few years back. Totally unacceptable, IMHO.
 What a racket!
You have a simple choice - give up on cell phones entirely.

Have you ever been inside a cell phone shelter? Have you ever had a loading study done on a tower, or specced a commercial genset? There are a lot of constraints limiting how many generations of phones the carriers can afford to support.

When the carriers began installing 5G I saw the writing on the wall and replaced my 3G phone with a 4G phone.

FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: 3 G Wireless is going Away   3 G Wireless is going Away I_icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2022, 11:46 pm

Thereby forcing the cell phone customers to spend hundreds of dollars buying new phones, like happened to me with T Mobile a few years back. Totally unacceptable, IMHO.
 What a racket!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: 3 G Wireless is going Away   3 G Wireless is going Away I_icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2022, 10:47 am

This article is from Puget sound Checkbook

3G Wireless Service Will End in 2022, Stranding Millions of Mobile Devices
by Herb Weisbaum, The ConsumerMan
Last updated February 14, 2022

This year, U.S. wireless carriers will turn off their old 3G (third-generation wireless) networks to make room in their wireless spectrums for 4G and 5G traffic.
The first shutdown starts next week, when AT&T throws its switch on Feb. 22. T-Mobile will be up next, shutting down its 3G network by July 1 and Sprint’s 3G service (now a part of T-Mobile) by March 31. By June 30, T-Mobile will also end Sprint’s 4G LTE network. Verizon says its 3G service will go bye-bye by December 31, 2022.

PostSubject: Re: 3 G Wireless is going Away   3 G Wireless is going Away I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3 G Wireless is going Away
Page 1 of 1