ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

vintage test equipment

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
don croze
Beginning Member

vintage test equipment Empty
PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2023, 9:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Here is the picture that I was able to find. This one lists the unit as a Readrite 9 the other picture lists it as a Readrite 6. It appears as if someone inverted the number because both look exactly the same.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2023, 3:55 pm

The picture doesn't display from the link No

Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2023, 1:58 pm

I am glad that you found it. All of the Readrite set testers that I have seen are later than yours, which is why I did not recognize it.

don croze
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2023, 1:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Here is the schematic of the Readrite 6
Back to top Go down
don croze
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2023, 12:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]After some more research I believe I have found some valid info. I have included a picture I found from an auction site selling what looks to be like the tester I have. It was sold back in 2019 and did not include any other info. But when I went to Readrite site I found a schematic for a Readrite 6 which matches the one I have. Thanks again to all for your help I would not have found the info I have without it.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2023, 5:40 am

don croze wrote:
By the way all of the meters are Readrite meters manufactured in Buffton, Ohio.
It does not look like any of the Readrite set testers that I have seen or seen photos of. I suspect it is homebrew using Readrite meters (the full name of the company was Readrite Meter Works). In the early '30s they were a major meter manufacturer, along with Triplett, Jewell, and Weston (the biggie). If it is a homebrew I am not surprised it has Readrite meters. That many meters represents a substantial investment and Readrite meters were relatively inexpensive.

don croze
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2023, 8:55 pm

Dale: thank you again for your help. I will look at the sites you have suggested and I have already done an extensive search on the internet. I would appreciate you looking through old magazines but I would not want you to spend time you do not have just to help me. I have also discovered that it does indeed have a 4 to 5 pin adapter. By the way all of the meters are Readrite meters manufactured in Buffton, Ohio. The 3 meters on the bottom have raised embossed writing going from left to right reading: B volts  C volts  A volts. Of the top meters only the one on the right reads: Test meter and the 3 in the middle only the one on the right has the lettering and it reads: B Mil-Amps. Thanks again for your much appreciated help.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2023, 6:53 pm

don croze wrote:
Do you have any other info on this particular model or how I can find out who the manufacture Co. is or what the model number is?
If it doesn't have a manufacturer on it I couldn't begin to look. Although I have extensive radio service-oriented magazines from the '20s and '30s it would take maybe a week to look through all of them. From the look of it perhaps it was homebrew. You could google ["set tester" site:worldradiohistory.com] without the square brackets (but including the quotes) and look at some of the 2,000+ results from that site

Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2023, 6:45 pm

Conelrad wrote:
In any case, this appears to be a passive device, not requiring external power but from the set under test.
All classic set testers (from around the '30s) are powered by the set under test. It wasn't until 1938 that sophisticated line-powered systems began to be introduced. See my page on The Chanalyst and Kin.

don croze
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2023, 10:56 am

Dale: thank you very much for your info. Do you have any other info on this particular model or how I can find out who the manufacture Co. is or what the model number is?
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2023, 9:14 am

That is essentially a simple set tester. There should originally have been a 5 pin adapter for the 4 pin cable. You plug the tube under test into the tester and plug the 4/5 pin cable into the chassis in place of the tube, then select the meter of the correct type and range for the measurement that you want to make. This type of tester was soon replaced by more sophisticated set testers such as my Triplett 1167-A Set Tester. consisting of the 1166-A Free-Point Auxiliary Set Tester (left) and the 1125 Universal VOM (right). The chassis cable has an octal plug, with adapters for 4-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin sockets. It is one of the more versatile late-model set testers, ca. 1935.

Conelrad
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2023, 6:35 pm

I may have errored, thinking there was a 5-pin plug.

In any case, this appears to be a passive device, not requiring external power but from the set under test.
Back to top Go down
don croze
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2023, 6:30 pm

Thank you for the responses. I am trying to post some more pictures but am having trouble. All of the meters pull out and plug back in. The two sockets on the right do not pull out. There are three cables in the storage bin. One is a black cable with a 4 pin socket at the end. The other two are single lead cables with a pin on the end. Hopefully I can post the pics so you can see what I am talking about. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Conelrad
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2023, 4:54 pm

With the original 4- and 5-pin plugs showing, I'd say it is more a circuit analyzer for real-time testing of a radio by allowing full parameter metering.

For example, if your set had 01A tubes in it, you would pull one out and replace it with the 4-pin cord.  Put that tube in the correct socket in the tester, then power up the radio and see just what voltages and currents are happening.

This set is obviously from the era where all sets had either 4- or 5-pin tubes.  All in all, a fairly neat concept for the repair shop.

Conelrad
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2023, 4:13 pm

That looks like a very Good tester. With all those meters that you can use. It would be tedious but probably more accurate than most to calculate the performance of Transconductance. To bad you don't have any booklet or paperwork. But Electronics Math and many a tube chart from RCA -G.E. -Raytheon,would go along way.

It probably has an A.C. Transformer in the case and at least a D.C. Power supply.

You have a rather Scarce Tube Tester for sure.

If you do get further information, please post it here.

Beginning Member

PostSubject: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2023, 3:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Does anyone know anything about this meter?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: vintage test equipment   vintage test equipment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

vintage test equipment
Page 1 of 1