ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Tube Type Car Radio Repair Tip

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Tube Type Car Radio  Repair Tip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tube Type Car Radio Repair Tip   Tube Type Car Radio  Repair Tip I_icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2023, 9:00 pm

Dale, I read that tip about 35 years ago. When i was working full time about 15 years back (And my memory was much better), I had a nightmare radio on the bench that was out of a 1950's car. Ran it for days and worked perfectly. Tubes all tested fine, even with the "tap test'.

Somehow I remembered that tip and BAM! 3rd tube I tested upside down showed short.
 Replaced tube and radio worked just fine.

Sometimes collecting old radio & TV servicing magazines can save your bacon.
Honestly I don't think I would have thought of turning the tube tester upside down unless I had read & remembered that article. Somehow the weird faults were strange enough I remember them. Probably because I ran into so many odd ball things other shops refused or couldn't fix.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: Tube Type Car Radio Repair Tip   Tube Type Car Radio  Repair Tip I_icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2023, 7:47 pm

Wow - you could start a Crimestoppers Textbook for antique radio repair with that one. I'll bet a lot of us would not have thought of that trick.

FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Tube Type Car Radio Repair Tip   Tube Type Car Radio  Repair Tip I_icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2023, 12:47 am

If you have a car radio that mounts in the vehicle with the tubes upside down this can save you mass trouble. 
 me a couple of times.

Radio worked fine on the bench but in the car wouldn't work.

Testing the tubes in the normal fashion shows all the tubes test good.

Now put the tube in the tester and TURN THE TUBE TESTER UPSIDE DOWN, and test the tube.

Yes! I had the short appear ONLY with the tube upside down in the tube tester.

This was a tip from a very old electronics publication. I fought that radio for hours and it worked perfectly on the bench, but the minute it was turned upside down, as it was mounted in the car, it failed.  Fortunately I remembered this tip and I solved my problem. With the tube and tester inverted, the short light came on. Replacing that tube fixed the radio.

A real oddball rare problem, but I did have it happen to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tube Type Car Radio Repair Tip   Tube Type Car Radio  Repair Tip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tube Type Car Radio Repair Tip
Page 1 of 1