ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

oscillator coil

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2024, 3:30 pm

A more accurate method to see if the oscillator is running is to check for -5 to -15 volts negative on the grid of the oscillator tube.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
PoorMansElectronicsBench
Beginning Member

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2023, 8:15 pm

Do you have the "Wave Magnet" "Race track" L1 antenna on the back of the radio connected? If you don't, the BC oscillator won't run, because it's part of the tuned circuit. 
  A quick way of checking to see if the local oscillator is working in your radio is to get another AM radio, set it to about 1200Khz, then, hold it close to your radio and listen to the other radio as you tune the one you are working on through the band. You should get strong interference as you tune the subject radio around 750Khz. If you get little or no interference, the radio has a fault either not starting the oscillator, or it is out of tune due to bad components.

A good example is on a youtube video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDcM0kFubZg&t=132s
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2023, 5:35 am

The first rule of antique radio servicing is: do not plug it in until you have inspected it thoroughly. You want to look for signs of damage and repair them, and you need to replace all of the electrolytic and wax paper capacitors because they are the most common sources of failure.

The second rule of antique radio servicing is: after completing step one, and before turning on the radio, you should plug it into a system that limits the chance of damage from undiscovered failed components. The two major systems are the dim bulb tester and the variable autotransformer.

You need to read some books about antique radio repair before attempting it. Some that I would suggest are:

Joseph J. Carr
Old Time Radios! Restoration and Repair
Blue Ridge Summit, PA: TAB Books, 1992

David Johnson
Antique Radio Restoration Guide, 2nd Edition
Radnor, PA: Wallace-Homestead Book Co., 1992

William Marcus and Alex Levy
Elements of Radio Servicing, Third Edition
New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1967

Alfred A. Ghirardhi
Modern Radio Servicing
New York: Radio & Television Publishing Co., 1935

John F. Rider
Servicing Receivers by Means of Resistance Measurement
New York: John F. Rider Publisher, Inc., 1932

so-tingly
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2023, 9:18 pm

Ya... I get that a lot.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2023, 2:08 pm

so-tingly wrote:
BC oscillator frequency?

You began by talking about measuring the windings of the BC (AM broadcast band) oscillator coil. If you don't know how to measure the BC oscillator frequency I don't think I can help you.

so-tingly
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2023, 1:43 pm

Yeah.....
Can't find anything else on my model. 
Flying blind here. 
I repaired the FM side where all 7 cans had SMD. Quite the task. Took me a week to do. 
BC oscillator frequency? 
That's undoubtedly beyond my expertise. I know I don't have the tools for that.
I could see about getting a signal tracer.....
Oh well back to not knowing where to go from here.... 
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2023, 5:36 pm

The Beitman Vol. 15 print for the T825F/T825G/T825R (Chassis 8T01) doesn't show the oscillator coil resistances. That chassis is not in Rider. I do not have the Sams, which is in set 287, folder 17, which might show resistance readings. I don't have original Zenith manuals that late, but it undoubtedly would not show winding resistances as it was the source of the print in Beitman.

The winding which you measured at 9.6 Ohms is not open. Have you checked the BC oscillator frequency with a freq counter to see if it is running 455 kHz above the dial frequency?

so-tingly
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2023, 1:35 pm

Zenith T825.
I had a thread here before but can't find it for the same radio. 
I figured this was just a simple continuity question.
As per usual... I can't upload the schematic no matter what I try.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2023, 4:45 am

Please specify the make and model of the radio. We need that in order to answer most service related questions.

so-tingly
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2023, 3:15 am

I was doing a continuity test with my multimeter on the continuity of the oscillator coil. 
All proper connections "proper connections = for example... A-B" show continuity with 0s across the meter.
One connection "C-D" gives a reading of 9.6Ohms. Does that mean somethings wrong? Is that an open "broken wire" or maybe corrosion?
It's an AM/FM radio. FM is working nicely. AM comes in if I touch the tuning cap screw with my finger. It's receiving but not speaking loud enough.
Thanks for any ideas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

oscillator coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: oscillator coil   oscillator coil I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

oscillator coil
Page 1 of 1