ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

ZENITH 8-S-463

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

ZENITH 8-S-463 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZENITH 8-S-463   ZENITH 8-S-463 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2014, 5:45 am

The 8S463 is about the only one of the more common 1940 Zeniths I don't have. In the 1960's my neighbor's parents had one that fascinated me.

Mike
Back to top Go down

ZENITH 8-S-463 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZENITH 8-S-463   ZENITH 8-S-463 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2012, 11:02 am

The new Zenith is at my shop now. It's in better shape than I expected.ZENITH 8-S-463 50b545a2
Back to top Go down

ZENITH 8-S-463 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZENITH 8-S-463   ZENITH 8-S-463 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2012, 5:15 am

Thanks for the advice y'all. I'm going to pick it up Saturday. I'll post some pictures when I get it. home.
Dave
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

ZENITH 8-S-463 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZENITH 8-S-463   ZENITH 8-S-463 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2012, 9:50 pm

Dave,
Be sure to FUSE the power TX & the B+, & I'd replace all the filter caps, as they will fail. Shocked
Insurance you won't be posting for a repl tx.

IIRC, a 6AX5 will directly replace the 6X5, and is a much more reliable tube.
I have many of them used & NOS if you need one.
I do have 1 good used band selector "knob"/ lever, but its not in the best of shape; if you get the set. Be sure the small rod that the center tuning knob is on is intact too. They are hard to find.
I sold the used one I had the 1st day I posted it, and had to make one out of brass or bronze brazing rod. Pretty easy to do also.
Back to top Go down

ZENITH 8-S-463 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZENITH 8-S-463   ZENITH 8-S-463 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2012, 11:08 am

I spoke to the seller again, and got the price down to $150. He sent me a short video of the radio playing, so I know the transformer & rectifier are both working. The cabinet looks great in the pictures, hope it looks as good in person. I did notice that the push button tuner assembly is missing, but that's not really a big deal to me, I can turn a knob just as well as I could push a button. The push buttons and original knob are still intact. I saw both of those sites earlier today, along with a few others showing fully restored versions of this same radio... a couple of them were listed at over $1000. By those standards, I would be stealing it at $150. Very Happy But then again, we all know the truth about such listings.
Dave
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

ZENITH 8-S-463 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZENITH 8-S-463   ZENITH 8-S-463 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2012, 10:46 am

I can't find my Slussders book right off hand.

It is an eight tube set, but it has a very weak power supply, Zeniths are not known to be robust in their power supplies and it may have all rubber insulation which has probably crumbled by now, so it may take extensive rewiring. The rectifier is a major problem 6X5G as they tend to short and take the transformers out as well. Yes I would ask to inspect it, rather than take the sellers word that it works. If it looks like the cabinet is in good shape that's a plus. Its sounds like the price is a little high to me. But then most Zeniths as you say are overrated.

Have him let you smell the inside, if it smells of burned parts pass, unless you know for certain you can repair any defects that come along. If it plays then give him a counter offer of $130-$150 because of known weaknesses. I am not an expert on Zenith but unless its a 10 -12 tuber or Rare set the price is a little too high. JMHO
Edit:
I went on the web after my posting and you might want to look at this. By the way that is a georgeous set.
-->Click Here
and this:
Click Here-->Repairs needed

Looking some More I saw two selling prices which floored me. But they were completely Restored mind you. $800 -$1100

ZENITH 8-S-463 Empty
PostSubject: ZENITH 8-S-463   ZENITH 8-S-463 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2012, 5:45 am

Hello everyone! I'd like to get some opinions about a radio that I'm debating on purchasing. It appears to be a 1940 Zenith 8-S-463 console, in pretty decent shape. The owner states that it does work, but the band selector is broken and it has a few water rings on top. I've always wanted a console like this so I'm pretty excited about the prospect of owning one. My question is... is it worth the $189.00 that he's asking? If not, what would be a reasonable offer? I know that the black dial Zeniths can go for a pretty outragous price, and I'm also well aware that many folks think that old radios are worth their weight in gold. I've never purchased a radio nearly this expensive and I don't want to get ripped off. I'd like to make a final decision by this afternoon, please chime in with your thoughts. Thanks.
Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ZENITH 8-S-463 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZENITH 8-S-463   ZENITH 8-S-463 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ZENITH 8-S-463
Page 1 of 1