ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Substitution and Decade boxes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Substitution and Decade boxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2016, 5:30 pm

The parts in the old sub boxes were typically either 10% or 20%, depending who made the box, and the era.
Typically 1/2 watt resistors unless stated on the box too.
 I have some that used 1/2, 1, & 2W resistors.
The capacitors were often ceramic inside them, and some tubulars, and the 'lytics could be about anything they chose to put in them. Voltage wise, typically 400V and up, and +-100% on the cap values too.
 Just depended on what the mfg. decided to use.
 Some used rotary switches, and some used slide switches. The really cheap ones just used pin jacks.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeNovember 28th 2015, 10:38 pm

Decade boxes are another term that is used instead of substitution box.
However Decade boxes are usually Lab quality, and sometimes used with bridge measurements.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2013, 2:08 pm

Of course you have to realize that the problem with thumb-wheel switches and surface mounted cap, resistors and inductors is limited voltage, Accidently apply 15 volts or any high voltage, well by now you know, POOF

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2013, 7:55 am

Still ..... not a bad idea when you already have the parts on hand. This kind of project is one of the justifications I use for not throwing anything out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2013, 7:20 am

For a simple, inexpensive resistor-capacitor substitution box, see Marcus & Levy, Elements of Radio Servicing (1947 ed.), pages 455-57. The paragraph beginning "Any number of. . ." is especially relevant. My guess is that this little home brew item performs just as effectively as the complicated Kripton ones linked above, which are probably intended for laboratory research use, not hobby antique radio repair.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 5:25 pm

Interesting post to be sure. I just picked of an old combination Micronta CR substitution box, I will have to replace most of the resistors and caps, as tolerances are out.

His approach is interesting, never thought of surface mounted parts. The only thing I can think of that may be a problem would be if the switches would add error since they may not be gold plated.

PostSubject: New take on substitution boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2012, 2:25 pm

A bit different take on sub boxes for the home-brew crowd. I've not tried these myself but plan to once I have some spare time. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2012, 12:47 am

They do have one resistor box that uses slide switches, and its 1% 1 watt resistors sold on Amazon.com
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The others with rotary switches are 5% 1/2 watt I believe.

They also have a transistor and diode tester.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][img]

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2012, 1:49 pm

Hi Cliff,

Those prices at Elenco for these aren't too bad.

Up to now, when playing with circuits, I've been using one of the 4 Radio Shack so-many projects in one kits I have in my shack. Just run a couple of jumper wires to the spring clips and I'm usually good to go.

Having a couple of these ready made boxes would be nice though. I might even have enough parts around to make my own too. What's the tolerances on the resistors and caps in these boxes Cliff, do you know right off hand?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2012, 5:25 pm

Substitution boxes are not to easy to find, but find I did.
Elenco has both cap and resistor boxes assembled and in kit form.

they are hard to find but they have them, radio kits, test equipment, capacitor and resistor kits too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Amazon dot com

Last edited by Cliff Jones on November 28th 2015, 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Substitution and Decade boxes   Substitution and Decade boxes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Substitution and Decade boxes
Page 1 of 1