ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2016, 6:18 pm

Elegant. WOW!

Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2016, 2:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
  I thought I would try posting a photo to see how it worked.
I use lacquer for all my finishes with Mohawk toner. I think it looks more like it did when it was new.  This is my rogers 10-12 .
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2013, 10:44 pm

According to my friend who has been a woodworker for decades and a contributor to many woodworking magazines; is the only proper finish for wood radios is tinted lacquor. That is what the factory used. Tung oil, stain, and other finishes are not OEM finish materials

We discussed re-finishing many of the wood case radios I have and that was the answer.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2012, 7:40 pm

I did take a look at the BRIWAX web page and it looks like there are some worthwhile products to use in Radio cabinet refinishing. I will keep note of that in my favorites. Thanks for the Heads up. cheers It is , about $19 available at ACE Hardware

PostSubject: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeJune 27th 2012, 10:55 am

Hi Guys, on some, and only certain types, i stain with a good quality stain, as near to the origional as possable, after this has dried well, go over it all with Brywax, this is a bit pricey but the finish is outstanding. Preparation is the key to a good finish. Good prep work good finish, bad prep work bad finish....Alan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.
Page 1 of 1