ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Still around......just low profile

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Still around......just low profile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 3:17 pm

Cliff Jones wrote:
Great, Happy to hear your a Ham too, I know what your saying, I have about 4 forums I belong to, and get into all of them, sometimes too much for my own good.

Yea, I got started in electronics by becoming a HAM.
Like many I started shortwave listening in the 1990's and I was then living in the Buffalo NY area where there were a lot of AM'ers and I heard them talking all the time on my radio that did not get SSB.
So I said to myself, "Hey I can do that and talk to these guys". So I joined the local club out there and got my licence in 2009.
Having to learn a little electronics to get licenced as a HAM my interest got peaked and I started building kits including a couple regen receivers and 4 softrock SDR's. Lots of fun!
Then I found an old tube am radio in the basement of the house we had then and decided to try to get it working. (I still have it and it is still not working!, The speaker was shot and I am re-coneing it) The rest as they say is history. I got hooked on the vintage radios and now TV's.
I find I hardly ever get on the amature radio anymore (Yasau FT450) and concentrate most of my free time in restoring radios or TVs.
I am currently finishing up an RCA 961 that is an AA5 and a 1930's photograph that I am going to plug into the phono jack on the RCA. Then on tap I have a Philco 610B tombstone and a 1956 G.E. 12" protable TV. Then a few others in my shed waiting for my attention including a National NC109 boat anchor. a Radiola 60, and an Admiral 24A12 10" console TV in one of the biggest bakelite cabinets ever made. The Admiral I am saving for later while I learn more on the TV's so I don't mess it up! LOL
73, Tom
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 2:20 pm

Great, Happy to hear your a Ham too, I know what your saying, I have about 4 forums I belong to, and get into all of them, sometimes too much for my own good.

PostSubject: Here too.   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 1:46 pm

Here. Too. I responded to a similar thread in a radio thread, not sure why it was there.
But. I just started posting today for the first time to be honest.
Looked like a nice forum so I signed up at the beginning and then I honestly forgot about it Embarassed

I am on antique radio forum and videokarma (vintage TV's) a lot and honestly it is time consuming to keep up with so many forums and threads. I read through a few really good ones here today though and I will plan on stopping by more often.
I put the shortcut in my bar at the top of my browser to remind me.

Tom B
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 8:55 pm

Thanks Randy for checking in.

PostSubject: re:still around   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 7:35 pm

Got the reminder email. Been overworked and under paid. Things have been extremely busy and with football season starting up, it's gotten even more hectic.Have ball games on three different radio stations at the same time each week, so a lot of running around figuring out how to accomplish all that plus all the other everyday nonsense. Definitely need to slow down and spend some more quality time doing something besides working.

Randy
KD8JEB
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 11:22 pm

I understand what you are saying. I had my grandson help me paint both the house and the garage, spent more time teaching Him proper techniques than if I would have done it myself, but He will remember the good work habits later in life and He Earned $70 to boot. However He fell off a ladder about 6 years ago (which I didn't know)and was very fearful of going up on one, I made Him do it just to let Him realize if He's cautious He can overcome His fear of Heights. I let Him know that even I don't like ladders, but getting the house done is a priority, so I put my fears aside, I even told Him I have been on a Ferris-Wheel and I'll never do it again. So I think that helped Him trust my Judgment. I made sure to hold on to the ladder the entire time He was up on one.
So after He went Home I still had some high painting to do and went back up the ladder. I have Arthritis and Poor leg circulation and severe back problems, I finally couldn't take the pain any more and had to quit. I still have to do touch up and painting all the trim yet.

So I know and understand exactly. I have had a problem with sciatica now on top of it, so its also hard for me right now, to get my radio LAB (LOL) cleaned up and organized, it is so packed with books and test equipment and radios I can't even decide what to do safely so I don't hurt my back and feet. It is taking shape though at a snails pace, but the forums also take up some time too, and MY dads and wife's care needs. Good to hear from you, so again Howdy.

I'm glad to a lot of members checking in now since my newsletter went out. cheers Yeah!!!!

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 3:45 pm

Hi Cliff,

Yep.... got the message reminder along with the other folks.

I have been dropping in real quick each day for the last while, but never for long lately. Got a major project going on with the house at the moment and it's taking me a while to get it finished. The rheumatoid arthritis tends to kick in after a couple of hours and it tends to slow me down. That along with some days when the heat hits past the 100 F. mark doesn't help either. Rolling Eyes

Did manage to pick up a radio from a cousin of mine 3 weeks ago though. Not sure if it's gonna be a parts set or not though. Has water damage. Crying or Very sad I'll try and post some photos of it later on when the house project starts to come to an end.

Cheers for now........... Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 1:18 pm

Thanks Phil and Bill its great to know your around, please keep posting from time to time. cheers

PostSubject: Yes, still intrested in participating   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 6:35 am

Hello Cliff!
Yup, we’re still alive an still in Belize. Been pretty busy with other stuff but do enjoy reading the posts on your board. 200 signups! Wow! That’s great news!
Phil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 2:51 am

Cliff, I'm still here. There just isn't enough time. Between sick spells and all my electronics projects, it limits my computer time. I'll try and check-in more often. Maybe put a link to the forum on my website, then I'll see it and be reminded to come visit! Thanks for the email reminder.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 11:47 pm

Hey I got a 1986 Ford Econoline with big V8 that doesn't get any better gas mileage than that. Its called the President (Camper one body style), got it for free for my wife, it has a wheelchair lift in it, but it would make a good emergency Ham Station setup on Wheels. My wife says NOT. LOL Its falling apart with all the plastic interior, Has about 50,000 miles and runs good after about 800 bucks. It was getting 5mpg now after work it may get 7mpg, Crying or Very sad

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 9:53 pm

Got the same email.
Yeah, still alive. Want to help me replace my pump house roof Monday? Laughing
Willing to trade tubes for help. affraid .

Trying to re-mount one more tire for the 5 tonner 6X6. O ring is being quite recalcatrant in fitting back into its grove, and has "shrunk" in diameter since I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago.
Can't find any new 20" O rings of the correct diameter for sealing the split rim tires. Les Schwab, and none of the local or not so local tire companies can come up with anything larger in diameter than 1/4 ", which is just a bit too small. (Most tire places just give me blank looks- sort of like the employees of the well known electronics chain based in Texas). lol!

Stull trying to find original radio info for this 81 vintage military sweetie. We just received the collectors plates for it, so there is a very good chance that next yeat we will be driving it to the hamfairs to tailgate out of. That baby can hold one 4377 of a lot of stuff!!!!
(BTW for you not in the know- 5 tons is only the OFF road rating. On road is a bit more like 18,000 lbs.)
Sadly its 3.5-6 MPG on a Cummings Diesel engine. It has a tad over 11K miles on it, so the trucks engine is not even really broken in yet.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 9:23 pm

Thats great thanks for the reply.

PostSubject: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 9:20 pm

Got the nice email reminder about participation and decided that I could at least drop a line to let you guys know that I'm alive. Kicking? yeah, not as high as I used to, but who is?

Keep up the good work, Cliff. The forum is growing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still around......just low profile   Still around......just low profile I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Still around......just low profile
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: General Chatting Forum-
Jump to: