ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Private joke?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Private joke?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private joke?      Private joke?   I_icon_minitimeNovember 24th 2012, 2:52 pm

No your opinions are welcome, and never think you are out of line. I enjoyed your post and it made me think. The nicknames that people use are as vast as can be, in the Shipyard where I worked, they called us yard-birds, all the sailors thought it was appropriate, and yet there was no amosity from us, we used to laugh about it to. Kinda like when things are handed to you in the form of lemons, scratch you make lemonade. sunny

Private joke?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private joke?      Private joke?   I_icon_minitimeNovember 24th 2012, 2:49 pm

Thanks for your little academic lecture about what life is. Guess my parents never taught me this astonishing notion. Gosh. . .gee. . . hope I can do better next time I express an honest opinion that, according to you, won't change others' attitudes. What a waste of time I foisted on everyone, huh?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Private joke?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private joke?      Private joke?   I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2012, 3:24 pm

A lot of nicknames in history. I think that Rat Shack, came about because Radio Shack no longer was loyal to the experimenter and hobbyists, kinda like they "ratted out on us faithful customers" by saying its not in parts and components, but the almighty cell phone$ and toy$ and big item$.

It expresses feelings, whether light hearted disdane or attachment.
It comes from the dumbing down of our current bevy of Radio Shack sales kids. pale
(and partly our own fault for not encouraging Kids to get into building radios and electronic kits)
You can personally deny the reasoning, but it doesn't change the attitudes for others, whether good or bad.
Life is what it is!

Private joke?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private joke?      Private joke?   I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2012, 2:16 pm

Strangest "therapy" I've ever heard of. . . .Whatever, re the reason for the usage I'm not buying it. Frustration is not solved by stupid nonsensical name calling.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

Private joke?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private joke?      Private joke?   I_icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2012, 6:22 am

I'm thinkin that it's because Radio Shack has gone away from the items that folks like you and me are interested in. They seem to be only interested in cell phones and the like, so, since we really can't do anything about it, it's therapy to call them names.

I've heard Rat Shack, Radio Smack, Cell Phone Shack, and a few other names that slip my mind at the moment.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down

Private joke?   Empty
PostSubject: Private joke?      Private joke?   I_icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2012, 3:09 pm

In at least two other antique radio-related sites, I continually read the expression "Rat Shack" in reference to Radio Shack. What does this mean? Why is it used? What do rats have to do with Radio Shack?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Private joke?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private joke?      Private joke?   I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Private joke?
Page 1 of 1