ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

What is considered an Antique Radio

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

What is considered an Antique Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2019, 2:14 pm

This Rule of thumb as it's called has no validity by rule of law. No official document to my knowledge. Just a bunch of old geezers that are out to make money from other peoples ignorance. What's one persons trash is.......Suspect
Of course its subjective to insurance companies determinations too.
Now Rarity of an object is another ball game as it were. study
But what do I know????? lol!

Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2019, 1:09 pm

What do the pros consider Antique?

The rule of thumb used by most antique dealers is that anything about 100 years or older is an antique. Items that are old, but not quite that old, are called vintage.

I'm a ways from being an antique, but some days........ Sad
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2019, 8:12 am

Wow!

A blast from the past posting has come alive!

In the rude beginnings of the AWA (Antique Wireless Association) controversy brewed as the why these remnants of technology were referred to and the Associations name, stated "Antique". Simply put, that, in the world of consumerism, they have been replaced with products that are smaller, more efficient and more useful.

Combining that with the well known acceptance of automobiles gaining "Antique" status at age 25 and many if not all States recognizing the antique auto at 25 with "special" registration. The AWA took the position that a radio as it would seem, would be antique reaching the age of 25. (A few of the early members of the AWA were auto collectors too.)
--------------------
Strange, I bought into a number of "Power Rangers" and other micro-chip ultra mini-radios both AM and FM. My thought was that they would become collectible in time. Well they did not. So they will be "antique" next year, worth far less than the acquisition.  I did sell off many of them, I think I have a two or three, somewhere, they are so small...

Initially, response to antique transistor sets began to take off with the publishing of the many handbooks on them. The posting of collectors web sites seemed to encourage that. Alas, it appears only certain very early transistor sets, limited production novelty sets have gained in value.

So it is just another old radio until, some notoriety is attached then it becomes an antique...

YMMV

Chas
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeApril 19th 2019, 8:08 pm

I consider antique to be radios built be pre -WWII and after that vintage radios.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2013, 7:38 pm

Well, if it is as old as me, its antique. In other words, if its repairable and not a throwaway, its antique. I can't even see the components on this new stuff. Nevermind fix it. Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2013, 8:54 pm

Cliff Jones wrote:
I can not believe that rocket radios are such a premium. It is ridiculous.
Ho Hum supply and demand I guess. Funny though I had a lot of them as a kid, at 99 cents each.

Nothing but a bunch of money grubbers playing on our sentimentalities.
Often wondered why they can no longer be produced. Well I really know the answer, IPADS!!!!
99cents was big money back then! You must have been a rich kid if you had many. I only had one. It was red and shaped like a rocket and you tuned the station with the rod at the top that slid in and out. And you had to attach the attached wire to a ground pipe. No batteries Also it had an earphone to put in your ear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2013, 8:36 pm

OK, lets all have a good cry. When I was a kid in Jr high school I had to walk about 2 miles back and forth to school. I would see these big consol radios being thrown out on garbage day, so I would lug what I could home along with my books and put them in the basement of my parents house for investigation. I was very interested in electronics but knew little at the time except what I wished I could have from the Allied Radio catalog. Well one such garbage day I found a big old Zenith being thrown out. I remember the excitement and wonderment I felt as I saw so many tubes and, if I remember correctly, 2 speakers inside. Like 20 something tubes. Well, over time the radio got destroyed and I think I used the tubes as hand grenades. Years later as I learned more I realized the radio was a ZENITH STRATOSPHERE ! Probably the most prized radio to have today. If I had kept it intact, I probably could sell it and get enough $$$ to buy a house today. I think less than 1000 were made. Makes you want to CRY CRY CRY!!! Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 10:51 am

I can not believe that rocket radios are such a premium. It is ridiculous.
Ho Hum supply and demand I guess. Funny though I had a lot of them as a kid, at 99 cents each.

Nothing but a bunch of money grubbers playing on our sentimentalities.
Often wondered why they can no longer be produced. Well I really know the answer, IPADS!!!!

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2012, 10:37 pm

Technically, an "antique" is considered to be 100 yrs old or older, per an antique dealer I know.
I do have some radios approaching that "yearage" as well as many tubes and components.
Sadly, that means los of my cookware, some of my furniture & eating utensils, and many of my books are already antiques.
If I actually can make the 100 yr mark, maybe I'll sell myself on EvilBay as an antique. lol

In reality, I consider anything with tubes in it "antique" as well as transistor items dating back to the 50's and early 60's; ie: "Rocket Radios"
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2011, 11:45 am

Hi all,

Fortunately, I really don't have that problem anymore. As long as I keep my stuff in 'my' space, it doesn't seem to matter. When I'm not sure though, my usual plan was to always leave with a box that I knew was gonna be bigger than the one I might be bringing home. That way, it could be either be a trade, or I sold the big box and used to money to buy this much smaller item. Very Happy

Once in a while, the old mind works. :twisted:
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2011, 9:50 am

You have that problem too? Oh my gosh were partners in crime! Er at least thats what my wife would say.

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2011, 3:41 am

What constitutes 'antique' is irrelevant untill you try to SELL it! Laughing WE know it's only junk untill AFTER we pay for it. Unless you're caught walking in the back door after retrieving that box of priceless history you 'just remembered' was left out in the passenger seat at 3A.M. Embarassed I have since learned to stash the items in dispute in the garage, and casually upgrade their status by bringing them into the house a bit at time, making me feel like a reverse-burgler sneaking the items IN!

"How much for this box of junk?"

"Honest Darling, I forgot it and was afraid somebody'd steal it out of the car. I haven't seen one of these in YEARS and it's nearly all there!"

Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2011, 9:48 am

Oh my gosh! Now that I think about it, I'm in between that range in age myself. affraid

What does it all Mean? Suspect

I guess I'll have to go and do an Inventory of my junk, ER I mean Treasures! Yes Treasures AH Hem!

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2010, 11:08 am

My oldest set is 81, my youngest is 62. I think if it has tubes it is a antique. 👅
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2010, 4:06 am

Hi all,

Over the last couple of years, I have also started picking up any AM only transistor sets. Also, I've collected a small assortment of germanium components still in their blister packs just to add to my display stuff.

Since this stuff is around the half century mark as far as age is concerned, I figure, pick it up when I can find it. How many folks wished they would have picked up a particular old tube radio way back when it could have been had for next to nothing and there were more around than now? My own interests lie more in the historical rather than the technical aspects. Though, I'll read gladly read anything I can regarding both.

It's what each person finds interesting and/or attractive I guess. To each his own. Heck, it would be kinda boring if we all collected the same thing. Not to mention the competition of everyone trying to get the same items for their own collection at the same time. Rolling Eyes

It'll be interesting to see what other comments folks make on this topic.

Cheers for now, Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2010, 1:45 am

Radios that were manufactured with tubes up to the end of the 1960s. Also Transistor radios of 1960s vintage or earlier.
There are differing opinions on this of course. Nothing is cast in stone of course.
Do you have any opinions on this? Suspect Question

PostSubject: Re: What is considered an Antique Radio   What is considered an Antique Radio I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is considered an Antique Radio
Page 1 of 1