ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Crystal Oscillators

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Crystal Oscillators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Oscillators   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 9:03 am

You might try contacting Chrystek.
They made a 4 pin xtal osc that plugged into an IC socket or could be soldered to a board.
Someplace I have some here, but not the freq you needed. I salvaged them from some old equipment. There were a lot of Ham radio projects that used them.
Do you remember the old International Crystal OX osc series? They were not small, but worked pretty good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Oscillators   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 4:02 pm

By the way, Cliff, please reread my original post, quote: "I did try Google but nothing useful turned up." The references you cite are clearly outdated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Oscillators   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 3:59 pm

Jameco is now up to Catalog 133 (Oct. 2013) and no longer lists the crystal oscillator I'm seeking. In fact, when I placed a phone order a few months ago and included the item under question, the woman taking my order informed me that the item "will soon be discontinued." Looks like it was.

Several weeks ago I searched the humongous Mouser online catalog but failed to find a listing for the crystal oscillator 1.228 mHz.

As I thought I had made clear I no longer see this value in the catalogs of the usual common sources. Guess I failed to communicate, huh?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Oscillators   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 3:03 pm

googled these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Parts availability query   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2014, 1:55 pm

Does anyone know of a source for a crystal oscillator rated 1.228 mHz? These were readily available a year or two ago but I no longer see them in current catalog listings. However, I only checked two or three sources, so I may be unaware of other sources that someone here knows of. As usual, thanks in advance. (BTW, I did try Google but nothing helpful turned up.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Oscillators   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 1:11 pm

If anyone is interested, true to my word out they went with a sincere utterance of "good riddance--never again."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Oscillators   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 3:13 pm

I think you're right about it being a surface mounted device. It measures a tiny 1/4" x 3/16" and has four conductive dots on one side, one at each corner, each barely one mm across. There is no way a hobbyist could ever work with these things, and my guess is that a year or so from now, during one of my home shop cleanups, out they will go.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Oscillators   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 9:33 am

Yes a disappointment, sounds like surface mounted devices. You almost need a microscope to work with these sizes. I did see a YouTube video where He used a video camera and adapted it to a tripod and added a close up lens to do soldering. I was quite impressed with His ingenuity. If I can find it I'll post it here. What you could do in the meantime is just tack some tiny wires to the solder-able surfaces, or get some conductive paste and try that way.

PostSubject: Crystal Oscillators Strange disappointment   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 2:47 pm

In another antique radios forum, under Home Brew, several posters have commented that it is difficult to find crystal oscillators that operate in the broadcast band other than those for 1000 kHz and 1228 kHz. Particularly mourned was the absence of a 1544 kHz, apparently widely available previously, which is well suited for home AM transmitters as it operates near the top of the usual AM band. Browsing the Mouser catalog the other day I found three listings for 1544 crystal oscillators. I plunged in and ordered a half dozen of them (about $2.75 each). When the package arrived yesterday I eagerly opened it and--guess what? The 1544 is--are you ready?--not much bigger physically than a grain of rice! It's so tiny that there is no way it can be handled to mount it and wire it up in a DIY project. I am forced to wonder how it is used in a factory assembly. The six were taped to a piece of what appeared to be a half strip of 35 mm film, even with perforations where the film would thread into a projector. I could, I suppose, return them to Mouser, but I can't be bothered, so I'm swallowing this disappointment and reaping a lesson: I should have read the catalog description fully, especially any information about physical size. Live and learn, huh?

Last edited by Cliff Jones on May 5th 2013, 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : modify title by Admin to ID product)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Oscillators   Crystal Oscillators I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crystal Oscillators
Page 1 of 1