ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them Empty
PostSubject: Re: No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them   No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them I_icon_minitimeJune 16th 2018, 7:40 pm

Thanks, & welcome to the Forum too!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them   No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2018, 10:59 pm

Hello All,
In Ham radio we often use Mineral oil because it is efficient and cheap and can be bought at any Drug store or Walmart.73
Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them   No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them I_icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2014, 1:10 pm

Of course water is the best medium for cooling, but its conductive, I have heard that distilled water has no metals, but there is another water called heavy water that is put to use in nuclear heat exchangers, and even used in coil designs for metal detectors.
But those are impractical

I guess you could do a search on best heat transference, I would think maybe motor oil. just because of its properties for heat in auto engines. Also mineral oil.

FrankB

PostSubject: No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them   No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2014, 9:15 pm

In keeping with todays 'Political Correctness" we may no longer deem them "Dummy Loads', but must now call them "Disadvantaged Antennas". Razz

There, that being said has anyone done a study on which medium dissipates heat in them the best?

I have heard of folks using: transformer oil, 30W, cooking oil, ATF, & 90W.

I suspect there are other fluids that would work also.

I had built a couple of audio loads in 1 gallon paint cans, and am trying to decide which medium would dissipate heat the best.
(Yes, I am planning on putting a pressure vent on top of the cans too. I don't need them 'sploding all over the garage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them   No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No more "Dummy Loads". And questions on them
Page 1 of 1