ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Resistors for antique radios

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Resistors for antique radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resistors for antique radios   Resistors for antique radios I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2016, 6:18 pm

I doubt that you will ever find a source for new resistors with the body style used by the old sets. You may find someone with NOS old type resistors, and if you are very lucky, they won't have changed value.
 Per an article I read: Most of the older types absorb moisture, as the mfg. process used and the materials allowed the resistors to absorb the moisture.

If you want "Original looking" resistors, use the newer types and make a mold of the old casing. Cast the newer type in non-conducting epoxy resin, and paint to suit. Leave a note in the set you have done this for future generations. The same process works to emulate the old 100% failure rate "Bumble bee" capacitors. (There is someone that is making reproductions of these, but they are not cheap.)
Back to top Go down

Resistors for antique radios Empty
PostSubject: Resistors for antique radios   Resistors for antique radios I_icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2015, 9:57 am

Fellow Antique Radio members,

I'm new to this Forum, have several old / antique radios which are in troubleshooting. 

One is a Hallicrafters SX-24 SkyRider Defiant which works but needs repair and alignment. 

Many of the resistors have the typical shifted values and need replacing.  So my Newbie question is - does anyone know of sources of the antique resistor values and in a perfect world, similar body style / markings?  The old components add interest to the unit and if possible it would be nice to keep that appearance.

If this has been asked / answered many times, please excuse the repetition.

73, Ron

2015-02-19 11:56:41
Back to top Go down

Resistors for antique radios
Page 1 of 1