ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Software defined radio...............

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ve1arn
ve1arn

Software defined radio............... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2016, 4:36 pm

Cliff, it is definitely a step learning curve. The videos I have watched sure make it look easy, but I wonder just how long it took those folks to grasp it? Very Happy 

Haven't had a chance tp play much with it lately, however, one of my radio buddies is planning a stay over for a couple of days, and we plan on concentrating on this while he is here.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2016, 12:29 am

I had to be patient, but I did pick up weather, and infrequent transmissions in the 800Mhz band, but still have not been able to get any talk on 2meters.

I did find the online aircraft position page. and Wow 67 Aircraft leaving or approaching SeaTac field at anyone time. I haven't picked up any audio traffic for aircraft yet.

I guess I could program it for scanning, and logging. its a steep learning curve though.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2016, 2:28 pm

Cliff,

Here's a bunch of Youtube videos that might help. There are more, but this is a start.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2016, 12:04 am

Somehow I cannot pick up ham radio , police or aircraft?

There are so many settings for bandwidth, mode, type of transmission it's baffling to say the least.
If you have experience at setting for different reception modes, please post. I am using SDR# (SDR SHARP Software.)
 I did see an online realtime software program for aircraft movement , but cannot find the active frequencies via my SDR Dongle.

Let's do settings.
Aircraft
Ham radio
Law Enforcement - Govt and civil
Emergency
Weather
Boating - Coast Guard and big ships
Even satellite 
Any others?
Thanks

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2016, 7:43 pm

You still with us here Cliff? Or has the dongle gotten to you? Razz
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2016, 6:17 am

The uses are only limited by ones imagination with these.

If you want to see some ideas of what could actually happen plane wise with hacking, have a look at this clip..................

It gets into ADS-B which is what these dongles are doing.

This guy who goes by the name Render Man. He's been around for a while now and is one of what is called a 'white hat' hacker. It takes a few minutes to do his intro before he gets down to business, but it's really quite something to listen to. It's also a 50 minute clip, so grab a coffee/tea or whatever when you watch it.

Let me know your thoughts too after you see it.

Also, you can do the same thing to track ship real time in your area as well. There's a few clips on youtube about how to do it if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2016, 10:10 pm

You know, when terrorist start, and even foreign agencies use these, we will see more unpleasant news.
Not that they haven't for years, already. Even Google can be used, for seeing Military bases and the changes they make.

One thing I just though of is using sdr being able to see signal strength, and with triangulation with others, to explore where signals originate from.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2016, 11:07 am

Ya did good Cliff. So far, I haven't tried FM yet. I do plan on doing weather satellites though. Gotta watch the youtube clip on that again though. Then, I might try and see if I can track ships as well.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2016, 3:31 pm

What a nightmare to get running, and so many settings, ARRGH!!!!!!
Did stay up till 4:30 this morning. finally got FM stations and Weather broadcasts.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2016, 6:59 am

COOL! Well, hope your birthday is a great one. Very Happy 

Let us know how you make out with the new toy too. Anxious to see your results.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2016, 9:03 pm

I just received my unit in the mail. So guess what I'm doing this evening?
It's my birthday present to ME.Suspect
Suspect Suspect

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 10th 2016, 7:40 am

Hi Frank, yep........ there is definitely a bit of a learning curve with this stuff. But I am finding it fun and looking forward to seeing what else I can pick up here. I bought 2 for under $10 each. I am gonna dedicate one to aircraft and use the other to play with on other modes. Weather satellites as well as some stuff on HF.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2016, 11:26 pm

I have had one of those here for several months. Still learning how to use it-(I am not the greatest at computer stuff)- and its interesting. One of my ham buddies here gave it to me and has been using one for a long time. Quite interesting, and I love all the modes I can listen on.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2016, 7:38 pm

I'll try and locate the video that showed a home brew antenna made from cut up pieces of RG6 coax.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2016, 6:19 pm

He did mention converting to outside antenna, Might try My TV antenna and a long wire also.
Sounds like its going to be fun to Explore (THE UNKNOWN MUHAHA) study

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2016, 5:55 pm

Good video Cliff. If I had found this one first, I could have saved myself a bit of time.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2016, 5:35 pm

After looking at a few also I came across this one in my neck of the woods. I Think He's either in Canada or northwest part of Puget sound in my state (Washington)

Gives a very good Demo that is understandable to those unfamiliar with SDR.

Short Video-Click Here.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2016, 7:04 am

Woops!  Embarassed Forgot the 2nd link................

Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2016, 7:03 am

Hi Cliff,

Right now, I am following aircraft. You can follow a lot of other radio signals as well. Try this link for a tutorial of what I am doing now.............

Here's a couple of more links about what's around for SDR.

Finding the software wasn't quite as easy as it should have been. Each time I clicked on a link that was posted, I usually got the "Page not found" error. If you have issues, let me know and I can send yu the files. They are quite small.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2016, 12:48 pm

You talked me into buying it Sad
Already ordered.bounce

Questions:
Why did you get two?
Is it only for Aircraft reception?
What is your intended use? Radio reception? or Transceiver use?
AM-FM broadcast? Shortwave?
------------------------------
Can you provide the link you used for the online software?

I found this Link but am baffled by everything there, any suggestions?

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2016, 7:55 am

Cliff, here is the entire setup except for the computer........................

In fact, all you need is the antenna and the dongle. The remote and CD are not used in this setup. You only need two pieces of software available for free on the internet. As I said in my previous post, for the setup I have at the moment, I am please with the extended range I am getting. It's kinda neat that it's real time from my system and not from a site on the web. Smile

The 1st is a screen shot of the laptop screen. Not sure what the issue is, but the icons that appear for a particular aircraft don't always match the aircraft type. Maybe it's because of my setup with the poor antenna location, maybe something else. The 2nd photo is the antenna sitting on top of a computer case about 2 feet from where I am sitting.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 6th 2016, 9:53 pm

So what does it hook up to? Is it a black box? Does it hook up to a digital Reciever? Like Yeasu

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeApril 6th 2016, 7:32 pm

Finally, when I thought I would have to apply for a replacement or refund, I got the dongles in the mail last Friday. Thankfully, after finding a couple of youtube videos that walked me through it, I was following commercial aircraft in real time. I am quite surprised at the range I am getting on this item considering the antenna is just a tiny 6 inch high vertical on a mag mount that is sitting a couple of feet away from me.

Gonna make me a proper antenna and stick it up in the attic and see what kind of coverage I can get then.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2016, 1:12 pm

Hi again all,

Wasn't quite sure what group to post this in, so I chose this one to be safe.

Just ordered 2 USB dongles off Ebay after watching a few youtube videos and reading a bit about this form of listening. Anyone around this forum playing with SDR at the moment? Any comments and/or thoughts would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Software defined radio...............   Software defined radio............... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Software defined radio...............
Page 1 of 1