ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Baofung Radios

Go down 
+2
ve1arn
Cliff Jones
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2020, 4:06 pm

Our club did some testing with a spectrum analyzer and found most of the Baofeng's tested were out of spec. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2020, 10:54 pm

Chas,
 I have about the same years in as you. Dropped ARRL because of their politics, and the fact the QST mag became mostly ads, and no interesting projects.

I really liked the old ones with tube stuff and some easy and hard projects. 

Now it's all digital crap, and I am not computer savvy enuf to even think of trying to program up EEPROMS, PICs, Pi's, & the like.

(I even missed the Puyallup Hamfair this year, for only the 3rd time in 45+ years, because of the covid 19 virus.)
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2020, 8:45 am

My radio club got "involved" with Beofungs... Seems they are the"go-to" handheld for all the members that use the repeaters.  The repeater is about 2 miles as the crow flies...

Two meters never caught on with me nor the walkie-talkie lifestyle.

I have not heard any bad reports. Several of the club members are quite savy computer/radio technicians so if something did come up it was remedied before it was an issue.

I did buy this tiny little "Alinco" thing. very limited range, used it on/off for two years, then my cat chewed up the micro cable to the mike/speaker. It has set in a box ever since. Has a sealed in lithium battery which I suppose is dirt by now...

I am a Ham, just been offered a 50 year pin from ARRL, but I can say if I have 50 hours on the air, that is about it...

Chas

WA1JFD
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2020, 11:34 am

Well, with the type acceptance mess and the horrible problem I have trying to make it work, it's now my dedicated NOAA Wx radio. Trying to figure it out is a nightmare for me to change channels.
 Flushed more money down the toilet with that nightmare.
 I would never buy another one, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2020, 5:13 pm

Back in October-November 2018 I was thinking of getting a new hand held to use with a club event scheduled for that December. I had heard that some fellows ran into trouble programming those Baufeng radios so when I went to buy I ordered a Yaesu FT-25R instead. It was fairly easy to get set up-no computer needed and that was what I wanted. However, I have since found out that no one makes a speaker-mike for this radio as it was designed instead for a plug-in VOX mike with earpiece combination. Not what I want to use. The push to talk switch on the radio itself has such a strong spring on it that I find my hand/thumb soon cramping up when using it.

It did a good enough job for our "Parade of Lights" parade that December 2018-better than some in my particular location as I could hear everyone-some stations could not do that. The radio wasn't being heard that well into our Sunday night 2 meter net so I have not used it much since then. I can't say what kind of receiver it has in it certainly it is not a Superheterodyne. Might be Super-Regenerative for all I know hi, hi. It will respond to various signals coming out of my Jackson 640 signal generator here.

73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2020, 1:34 pm

Resurrecting this older thread with my experience..

I got a pair of Baofeng BF-FH8P's for Christmas for an even CAN$100 delivered. Bought speaker mikes and the programming cable as well.

I got 2 because of the price, because I'm thinking of doing a bit of satellite work. Use one for transmitting and the other for receiving.

Unlike Frank, I had no issues programming it. I didn't even have to use the disk that came with the cable. My Windows 10 system picked it up automatically. The program, called 'Chirp" is free to download. There was a bit of a learning curve till I found a YouTube video that walked me right through it. Both radios done in a half hour.

Again, it's not a top of the line rig, but, for the cost, I'm gonna have fun playing with it.
Back to top Go down

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2016, 6:31 am

I have two radios model UV-5R and UV-5RA. Also have program cable. Range on mine is about 6 miles on flat ground. I can log in on three of the repeaters around here and have ease i programming. They are good for small low power hand held radios.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2016, 11:54 am

Hard to tell with sets like these. I had a buddy that ordered what he thought was an Icom V-82 handheld. It was a decent price, but turned out to be a knock off radio with no place to add the digital card that he bought just before he got the radio.

He did manage to sell the radio to a chap that wasn't interested in the digital aspect though. He made sure his next purchase was not a knock off one too. Smile
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2016, 2:17 pm

Oh, & the included antenna is marginal for communication, you really need an outside antenna in rural areas to get out, depending on your location. (I am in the middle of 2 tall hills). PLUS you need an SMA adaptor to either UHF or N to match "real world" antennas.
 Not going to waste any more money on this one.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeJune 17th 2016, 9:18 pm

Oh? Hmm. One of the experts YouTube on Electronic repair and testing didn't mention that.

FrankB

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2016, 6:47 pm

OK I guess. Big PITA to get programmed. Had to have 2 other more computer savvy hams help me set it up. I don't talk on it. Mostly use it to monitor freq.
Had to download another program to be able to use the special disk that came with it for "programming" . MUST use disk that comes with radio also. Newer or older version of software won't work on radio. I'd give it 2 thumbs down. Way too complex for me to understand and use without assistance. Likely to become 100% monitor radio or hanger queen. Waste of money, IMHO, after dealing with it.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2016, 6:00 pm

I understand that depending on the model, it might not have been certified by the F.C.C. I think it can be used in the business bands and exceed maximum band with and power.

But now you have it how is it working?

FrankB

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2016, 8:03 pm

Well, I finally ordered a Baofung Ham handheld dual bander off Amazon.
I also ordered the speaker mike, programming cable, and programming disk.
 Looks to be a fairly good deal.

You need to use a computer to program it up. I will post when it arrives and I get it figured out.
Are any of you other folks out there using this radio?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Baofung Radios Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baofung Radios   Baofung Radios I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baofung Radios
Page 1 of 1