ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Marconi model 85

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Marconi model 85 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marconi model 85   Marconi model 85 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2017, 7:58 pm

cheers drunken

Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Marconi model 85 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marconi model 85   Marconi model 85 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2017, 7:05 pm

I bought the plastic from a local place called industrial plastics. It is a special plastic for heating and forming. The thickness is 0.40. that is twice as thick as most of the guys use , but I had a wider span to cover so that is why I used  something that thick.

I was a little harder to work with but it is sturdy enough.
 Now I have to find room for the radio in my basement. It is getting full.
   These photos are about a year old and there is more in there now

Dan in Calgary

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Marconi model 85 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marconi model 85   Marconi model 85 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2017, 6:42 pm

Impressive Talent. What type of Plastic? and where did you get it from? What was the Thickness?

Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Marconi model 85 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marconi model 85   Marconi model 85 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2017, 6:37 pm

Well I got it all back together and it looks very nice. the eye tube works very well, just as it should. he[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]re are some photos of the co[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]mpleted radio, except I have to refinish the knobs when it gets warmer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]all_do16.jpg" border="0" alt=""/>
Back to top Go down
Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Marconi model 85 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marconi model 85   Marconi model 85 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2017, 6:13 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]tt[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]p[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]s[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/u[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]rl]://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/16/52/06/39/lens_f10.jpg" />

This is the plastic dial cover I made for the Marconi model 85.
I used a heavier plastic than most of the guys use  ,because I had quite a span to cove [91/2 inches.
  I layed the plastic on the opening and had it in the oven at 200F for 20 minutes , and when I could see it was drooping I took it out. Then I pressed the round cover over it . Since I used a heavier plastic , that didn't do much , so I used a heat gun and pressed all around the edges but they still didn't move much..
  I then cut around the outside edge and it fits very well.
  Not bad for a first try.
     Today I used go jo on the cabinet and then Trade Secret.. Tomorrow  I will wipe it down and install the dial cover , speaker and chassis.
 After that I will post some photos.  it is coming along very well and I really like these Marconi radios.
   Dan in Calgary
Back to top Go down
Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Marconi model 85 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marconi model 85   Marconi model 85 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2017, 9:50 pm

The radio is very sensitive. I can pick up all the normal stations that the rest of my radios
pick up and more stations that are a lot farther away.
On short wave I am surprised at the clarity of the signals.
 I know that sometimes it depends on the weather conditions, but late at night I get very good reception.
   There is no hum on or between stations.
    I can't wait until summer gets here so I can get to the cabinets I have waiting.
 Right now I have 6 chassis done and they are beginning to fill up my shop, so I suppose I will take them to the garage so I have more room.
 I just picked up a Sunbeam automatic toaster and I am going to get to work on it.
   They are real challenges to work on.
   Dan in Calgary
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Marconi model 85 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marconi model 85   Marconi model 85 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2017, 9:29 pm

How sensitive to reception is it?

Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Marconi model 85 Empty
PostSubject: Marconi model 85   Marconi model 85 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2017, 8:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
  This is my latest find. It is a Marconi model 85. I now have it recapped , and aligned. I had to replace the dial string , so when I took it apart to do that I cleaned the glass and what  a difference in brightness.
 None of the lettering came off.
    The cabinet won't need a lot of work, just  gojo , trade secret  and straighten up the grill cloth.
 I also have to make a convex oval glass ,which I have never done before, but I have seen others so it can't be that hard.  I do have the small piece of wood missing on the bottom.
 Dan in Calgary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Marconi model 85 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marconi model 85   Marconi model 85 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marconi model 85
Page 1 of 1