ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Your Input need for tips and Hints

Go down 
+2
MEZLAW
19&41
6 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Your Input need for tips and Hints  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2018, 6:26 pm

There is nothing more annoying than trying to build something, only to find out you don't have ONE part to finish it with.

Now Cliff has seen my shop, tube & manual trailers. Nothing is organized anymore since Jillian died.
 We were remodeling the shop, and when she died, I lost almost all interest in finishing the project. Be nice to finish one day before I die though....... Crying or Very sad

I remember the "cut the PCB pad for terminals and make a transmitter" type project from ARRL handbook I started. I got it all done, except the IFT's, which were a Radio Shack part. Went in only to find they had been "Discontinued".
  A hundred bux invested in parts, and I was never able to finish it.
 Sigh..........

It takes a lot of time and money to keep parts organized. No doubt.
Maybe someday I'll finish..... Maybe.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2018, 5:09 pm

Few years ago, I was housebound with a health issue for about a year. With a lot of time on my hands, I spent it doing an inventory on my own parts. Rather than repeat myself here, if anyone's interested, here's the link I posted on this forum..........................

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just another one of the many neat ideas I have read from other members here. Smile
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2018, 3:29 pm

Cliff wrote:
Yes I do think I need a record keeping system.
Agreed, about 4 times the stuff I have, that is pushing my memory limit.

But I do LIKE Vidmars. I ordered them for my elab when is was working. Infinite variations of drawers, dividers, trays and little black boxes (anti-static).

I have two Sears tool cabinets on casters. All my accumulations of tools are in there. Best thing I ever did. Using drawers that were under a wooden bench soon got old as tools overfilled the space, jammed the drawers. Almost all of the carpenters tools and the furniture clamps are in the shed.

It would have been disaster if I was a machinist... I do miss the access I had to the shear and the box folder...

What clutters my elab (home) is the many odds and ends from estate clear-outs. These have been collectively categorized, some in bankers boxes and some stored in the attic.

I need to make that stuff go away. Much is very usable parts...

I dislike eBay for selling and don't wish to travel to radio meets so I will offer the bits online...

Chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2018, 12:38 pm

MEZLAW wrote:
One very good reason for organization of my inventory is to put my hand on something when I need it.

Nothing angers me more than to stop a project, research and make a purchase, then wait for the purchase to arrive, only to find I had what I needed the whole time.

That is a waste of time and money, both of which are in short supply at this point in life!
Me Too!

Thumbs up on your Answer, as I couldn't have stated it better. I don't know how many times I didn't find what I was looking for, I went out and bought the same needed Item. Where as Having a record system on my computer and printing it out for fast reference would save aggravation and wasted time and fuel.

PS: I have two ceiling high book cases filled with manuals and one waist high book case filled with Riders Huge Hard Folders and still store some on the floor. Plus another one filled with books that are stored in front of my window. A metal filing cabinet,  I also Have three Ceiling high Metal storage racks of shelving (2 are in the house) filled with Akromills storage bins and on the other side of the same test gear and radios to be fixed. Then I have another filled with probably 25-40 pieces stored on the second full Rack. I have the third one out in my garage. In My garage there are 1 - 8 foot High by 12 -14 foot long industrial 4 tiered shelves plus 4 more metal shelving units with every thing from transistor, Shortwave sets, stereos, turntables, chemicals, battery chargers and battery eliminator supply's, a long work bench, plus tools, and just recently added an empty metal file cabinet and two (2), 350# VIDMAR with sliding trays (7 in each) cabinets.

I forgot to mention I have at least 23 pieces of test equipment on my radio lab bench plus a huge all in one RF signal generator along with an Audio signal generator, a Variable AC and separate variable DC power supply Plus a Variac and a test speaker inside. That doesn't include on the bench, two Isolation transformers, a Gen-Rad dual metered Variac, resistance solderer, soldering stations wire and tools. plus under workbench drawers. Then two wood file cabinets filled with Meters, VOM, Digital hand held meters. and test equipment manuals. Then there is both in the garage several Console Radios and in my Work room in the home. Then there is shelving inside my closet. Yes I do think I need a record keeping system. lol!

Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2018, 8:53 am

One very good reason for organization of my inventory is to put my hand on something when I need it.

Nothing angers me more than to stop a project, research and make a purchase, then wait for the purchase to arrive, only to find I had what I needed the whole time.

That is a waste of time and money, both of which are in short supply at this point in life!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2018, 11:49 am

Take a look at this storage.

Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2018, 11:38 am

Sorry,

I don't believe in inventory control for a hobby...

If a workable method for storage is devised so one can easily find the item, with a quick look says it is there or not. Besides inventory control is like looking for the item twice, once in software and again in the bins. So put the stuff in the appropriate place, if it is not there I don't have it... I don't have to decrement the software, when an item is gone its gone...

Chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2018, 10:53 am

The problem I have with storage is organization methods and recording those items in a logical manner.Using a spreadsheet in a efficient logical manner. Then doing the same thing with the parts themselves.

When I worked for the Government I had total control in our shop of the Following:

1.  First job that I Had, was to record incoming pressure and vacuum gauges find and record the storage bin locations. Fill out in quadruplet for recipients copies, one for the Calibration Mechanic Calibration, one for the incoming customers receipt, one copy for our Records, and a final copy that went to records storage for reference as required by NAVSHIPS. The incoming came from Shops Codes, Ships, Submarines, Divers shop, etc.

-- Then I was rotated through the Shops departments, NTDS Repairing huge low voltage power supplies, Radar, Communications, computers, Cal Lab, Antennas and GPS Navigation, and  Flight control landing of console repairs.

2. after this job my next was in Shipping and receiving and storage of New and Calibrated test Equipment, Which there were thousands of every thing from Lab Standards, Signal generators, Oscilloscopes, multi-meters, SWR Meters, slotted lines, attenuators -fixed and variable, Repair parts, Dummy loads, and ordering and shipping Test Equipment to outside Cal Labs. And records of Calibrations done. This is when computers were first introduced to the Shop So I got in on the ground floor. I helped transfer those records onto 5 inch floppy discs, the later Bernoulli high speed tape drives, then Hard disk drives, then printing out Storage locations.

Because of my growing experiences and developed Expertise, I was offered to join another department. That was to organize the New Circuit Card Repair Lab with my supervisor.

3.   I was appointed to keep and store Printed circuit repair storage and shipping records and inspection cards on each card and repairs accomplished, Shipping records for each. Then there was ordering of hundreds of thousands of electronic parts for each Job. and receiving and removal of packages, and storage locations, keeping records for the storage and inventory. this was hardware, thousands upon thousands of I.C.s, capacitors -Resistors, Wire, Switches, solders, Pace Machine parts, Manuals, several types and , sizes.

And lastly about 5 years before I retired I was assigned an office space that was larger than most of my superiors ( cheers )

3.  HAZMAT control as it is called.
Hazardous waste storage, Hazardous Materials storage, Scrap metals storage along with storage segregation. All requiring Specific OSHA regulation compliance. Applying NFPD Lables and Stickers, Keeping not only paper trails but computer records for fast review and locations. And when I mean Locations it involved storage Fire proof lockers, Cabinets, shelving, drawers, bins, drawer trays and slots.
Part bins then also keeping up to date OSHA regulations, Recording OSHA and Environmental Inspections and compliance.

I even was visited by the Undersecretary of the Navy to be shown as a Model of How to work in that Job.

But my problem is I don't have the space or money, like I Did working in the Shipyard(s).
Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2018, 7:44 am

Pill bottles, Ugh, I dislike having to take pills. So I get them every 3 months fewer bottles. My dislike is so great I will not keep an empty pill bottle around. I was once saving them but I use plastic drawers for the small stuff.

I did do this for part storage: Categorize the hardware. I have probably have 50 pound of radio related hardware. It used to be in trays and I would paw through them to find a fastener of what ever type. Each search was time consuming because there was so much mixed in the trays.

Solution categorize the hardware, then sort it. Sounds all too anal retentive, but consider a trip to ACE hardware or Home Depot for that crappy China hardware not only discouraging but expensive...

Before I retired, I had access to a metals salvage Gaylord container. The Cafeteria would dispose of the washed out restaurant sized food cans, bingo!

I wound go through the whole hierarchy list of hardware but:

Wood screws/slotted, Phillips, sheet metal screws, serrated lock-washers, Allen set screws, socket screws, nuts, washers, I used 1/4" as a deciding number to separate with 1/4" and above large machine hardware.

So effective was the sort that I can generally find an atypical bit of hardware, often multiple bits for the same project in a few minutes, far less time than running to Ace and its free.

The sort produced two 8" round by 8" high cans of hex drive sheet metal screws each can about 5# each...

Much of the hardware came from a living estate where the fellow had to boogy out of his rented home after his energy saving project froze the boiler and the piping under the house. His landlord was madder than a wet hen... He had a business selling used TV's in the late 70's and 80's. He was a plug and go technician. Bought used TV's from dealers, fixed what he could and took apart all the rest. A 5 gallon pail of hardware...

More hardware came from my late father-in-law a part time TV technician, and tv/radio parts distributor salesman...

Still more came from the estate of my second wife's father, that's where hundreds of interlocking parts drawers came from...

Although I have not scrapped a console radio in some years. When I did, I removed all the iron wood screws, not only are they tougher than modern screws but most are not plated and can be blued for use in old replica projects, The more ornate the cabinet, the more screws in it...

My fathers used hardware trays were known all over town. Folks would pay to dig through the trays to find a hardware treasure. He called the trays his "Gold Mine", my brother got all that, he too is a tinkerer and builder but around his property...

I am not proud of how I store knobs, that is tough, most of the small ones that appear related to one another are in small paper bags, those bags stored in the attic withing a box that fits in between the rafters. Same for 20's era parts, sorted and in boxes that fit between...

Tubes, heck another story I'll post later how I try to manage some 30,000 tubes, luckily there not all "S" bulb...

I need to get to the Chiropractor, really...

Chas
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2018, 6:21 am

I like to use a container that I can get plenty of for free!   One type of container is a peanut butter jar! These are now plastic and safe if you drop it, they are also crystal clear when the label is removed.

In one jar, I might have screws, clips, knobs and other hardware saved from a radio which was beyond reasonable repair. Another jar may contain a couple of salvaged tuning capacitors, while another will have tubes which have been salvaged but not yet tested and boxed. 

Since we use peanut butter frequently I have plenty of jars all of the same size, which makes for a shelf of parts pleasing to the eye and easy to see what's inside.  With the lid back on, the parts are protected from dust, dirt, and dampness.  Dampness is a problem here in the Southeast!  We also get cat treats on a regular basis which come in a nice square and clear plastic container.  I'm sure you must have something that you purchase on a repeat basis that comes in a similar container.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2018, 4:49 pm

Thats a good Idea Thanks.

I have over 50 soft amber pill bottles and am currently storing them in a slide out Storage tray.
In one of storage cabinet 7 slide out drawers Takes about 1/3 of one tray. Haven't used them.
I did use one for tiny sheet metal screws combined with the correct sized washers. Only filled up about 10% of the bottle. But Hey its my First use. 🤡
Was considering using some kind of egg tray dividers to keep them organized. Make up a list of whats in each one and a number on the cap. study

Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2018, 11:55 am

One more note:  save the cores and cut them into pieces long enough to put in the bottom of a bottle and sink the pins of a pin base tube.  Many bottles are an ideal size for them.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2018, 11:51 am

If any of you find yourselves accumulating prescription bottles, here is a quick and dirty way to set them up for parts storage.  Find some closed cell polyethylene foam.  You can find it where electronic equipment is uncrated.  Take a bottle and cut the bottom off of it and take a sanding block or file and cut a sloping edge toward the open end, so you can use the bottle to core out a pill bottle sized hole in the foam.  It will hold the bottle in place til you remove it.  then take your sanding block and lightly sand the top of the cap.  That will remove the original print and make a good surface to apply yours.  Cut the foam to allow a number of bottles per sheet.  They make good trays that will keep your things secure til needed.  If the foam is too deep to get all the way through it, reach in and grab the core with needlenose pliers and twist it to tear it out.

FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2018, 8:01 pm

Excellent information from meercat1952. Thanks for adding to the forum & welcome. What a Face
A friends brother literally melted his gold wedding ring onto his finger when he tangled with a radar power supply. (Can you saw OUCH!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2018, 2:50 pm

When working on any electronic equipment. You MUST remove any rings, watches, wrist chains or neck chains that could either conduct a harmful or possible lethal voltage. Or get snagged and create a number of lethal issues. Plus, you do not want to damage the equipment you are working on. Also you should modify or repair any equipment that either does not have a three prong plug or the ground has been broken, or it does not have a pug that can only go in one way. Example: You can take many a tube tester with a two prong plug and plug it in and take your meter, set it to 200 volts AC if in North America, put one lead on the metal deck, connect the other one to "earth ground", not neutral.  You will find a potentially hazardous voltage by plugging it in one way then turning it 180 degrees, it is okay. Also you can ruin your test equipment on such pieces. Above all. make yourself as isolated as you can to any power source.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitimeJune 16th 2018, 8:14 pm

Yes, we need you folks to input Tips, Fixes, etc. to improve this forum.

We have a lot of registered members & visitors who have NEVER posted anything, so get off your easy chair & do so.

Everybody who works on electronics has a favorite technique to do something, a favorite type of tool, or some such.

Maybe a tip to make feet for a project box out of old wine corks, a source for an obscure and NLA part, whatever.

Maybe a post on your latest home brew project, how it worked out- or failed. One can learn a lot from failure, then finding the cause and making it go- or get help to make it work.

Come on folks, contribute to the forum- PLEASE!
 I know Cliff puts a lot of work into this, plus the expenses, so lets make it worthwhile.

Yes, there are a lot of other similar forums out there, but let's keep this one going.
 There is information to be found here that no other forum has. (I know this, as I have posted a lot here that is not on other forums!).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Input need for tips and Hints    Your Input need for tips and Hints  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Input need for tips and Hints
Page 1 of 1