ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

New Members Please introduce yourself.

Go down 
+32
bzadel
rulene
RandyT
ThomasB
jesse.law
kend
Hydrolastic
Rogm1017
Warren Follweiter
ronnie667
zandy1
Gar
jbwaddell17
Lonney
chas
binkeyhb
Rod Clay
POTS Don
Dan Walker
Cliff Jones
dspwku
pbpp
radiorich
19&41
wildcat445
reyesfa
MEZLAW
willy3486
FrankB
bluebuzzer123
SWsenior
ve1arn
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: New member intro..   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks,
I'm David, I live in Canberra, Down Under, and confess a love of valve gear.
Specifically guitar amps, and have joined the site to further my slowly growing knowledge..
I'm also on a steep learning curve for valve testers - just gained a Jackson 637 and am trying to learn about it and am planning to service it B4 testing my growing collection of valves..
I don't know a whole lot about radio's per se, but pls don't hold that against me..LOL
I'll chime in probably infrequently, but have bookmarked the site and will call back regularly.
Cheers, David
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: New Members   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 29th 2016, 11:12 am

ttevault -     Feb/29/16

timk9vb  -   Feb/26/16

earlyradio - Feb/23/16

Glad to have these recent joining Members. cheers
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Welcome Sajjad   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2016, 6:32 pm

Glad to have you here. Any experience is appreciated.

PostSubject: New Member   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2016, 8:03 pm

Hi My Name is Sajjad i am new at this forum,
I obtain my electronic technology diploma in 1982 from Karachi Pakistan, had a job steel making complex work as supervisor automation and control,wile working there involved in repairing in consumer electronics Radio/TV/Stereo's etc. 1989 move to USA upstate NY, after three weeks i got my first job at Bogota NJ as a TV technician work for two years then start my own business at Suffern NY as DIAMOND TV SERVICE that was very good experience i made good money until 2001 than business was gradually going slow and finally had to closed in 2004, started job with a computer tech firm as a test engineer company makes DIMMS,Flash Drive,SSD,Cell phone power packs still with them,
The reason joining this forum that i have plenty of vintage electronics mostly radios and receivers like 
Philips,RCA,Herman kardon,Nikko,vector research,Akai,like to share my knowledge with other members and learn from there knowledge,
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2016, 3:48 pm

cheers
Our newest Members, Welcome!
--------------
08 Jan 2016.    Bob...w2ami

24 Dec 2015.      N4TYX

08 Dec 2015.      George Schmermund

08 Dec 2015.      mitchw

05 Dec 2015.   michaldana

herbie.    20 Nov 2015

love tuberadios.     19 Nov 2015

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2015, 6:59 pm

Welcome Ed, it's nice to have a youngster becoming a new member!
We have a few Hams that are members here.
I worked for two Naval Shipyards, in Naval Electronics, spanning 32 years, just before Retiring.
Now I'm dragging my behind into actually setting up my Radio Room.
I have acquired quite a bit of older test equipment, with some Military penchant towards collecting it.
For the quality and dependability I vote Military Equipt. Every Time.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2015, 6:06 pm

Hello to all and thanks for the add here.

My name is Ed Allen and I became interested in radio at a fairly young age and later became an amateur radio operator, call sign is N4TYX.
After being out of the hobby for almost two decades due to military service and moving around a bit, I once again took up my hobby about two years ago and enjoy restoring old "boatanchors" and test equipment as I consider it therapeutic and helps keep my now 66 year old brain active.

Nice to meet you all and I'm sure I will learn much here.

Best 73's
N4TYX
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2015, 5:37 pm

Hi! George thank you posting.
You are always welcome to cast your bread into our forum.
Sounds interesting.

I used to live in So-Cal during late 50s to early 70s.
I went on Google Maps, and Long Beach and Huntington Beach have change so much, and I used to know the entire LA  and Orange Counties like the back of my hand.

There were a lot of electronics industry, because of Douglas Aircraft and Lockheed, there was even a Rocket building plant in the Seal Beach area.

I have always wanted to use peanut, and Acorn tubes for building simple radios.
Both types are scarce in comparison to regular tubes.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2015, 2:57 pm

Hi - I'm George. I live in Southern California and do consulting work in materials science. When I'm not 'in harness' on a contract, I tend to amuse myself with endless technology projects. I usually hang out on The RadioBoard Forums, but thought that I would cast some of my bread on the waters here.

My current assortment of boondoggles is focused on building DIY triodes for use in simple radios and amplifiers. The projects are mostly directed toward the materials, equipment, and processes needed to fabricate homebrew triodes. Its been an interesting journey so far. Maybe some of the folks here would be interested in trying the same thing. It's not all that difficult if someone shows you how to do it.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2015, 9:23 pm

Welcome Mitch! Browse around to see what interests you.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2015, 5:47 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Mitch, I live in central NC.
I am a 66 year old retired electrical engineer. I have been restoring tube radios for the last 8 years.

I have a collection of some 50 radios dating from the 1920's (battery/farm radios) to the pre WW11 1940's.

I used to post on NA, not too much on ARF, Radio Museum?

I look forward to posting on this site and answering questions that may help others restore their vintage radios and amp's.

Thank you all for solutions that I may post with my restores and I hope that I can contribute to others questions.

Regards,
Mitch
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2015, 3:13 pm

Welcome, DANIEL,  just jump in and get your solder wet. LOL

PostSubject: New member   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2015, 11:07 am

Good afternoon!
                        My name is Daniel. I have been restoring vintage electronics for about 4 1/2 years. In 2011 I had a stroke and now live in a nursing home. I am doing well. I have a private room where I have setup a small work table in which I continue to work on electronics. I have been looking for a forum for help and I am pleased I have found this one.
I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and learn more about these radios as well as electronics in general.
Everyone have a nice day!!
Thank you for allowing me to become a member and to bring back to life these wonderful radios.
lovetuberadios
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: New Members   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2015, 6:20 pm

Welcome to our Newest Members:

User Name     Joined

Bob...w2ami.    16 Jan 2016

N4TYX.      08 Dec 2015

George Schmermund.   08 Dec 2015

mitchw.         05 Dec 2015

michaldana.   01 Dec 2015

herbie.      20 Nov 2015

lovetuberadios.    19 Nov 2015
----------

gfulton            Sun 15 Nov

WillitSprout     Wed 11 Nov

ThomasJD   Sat 31 Oct

Bobber57   Mon 26 Oct

tmw1967   Tue 13 Oct

audiophile  Fri 9 Oct

James Bailey  Wed 7 Oct

Jailmaster  Mon 5 Oct

RichieC   Sat 3 Oct

Last edited by Cliff Jones on January 14th 2016, 3:30 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : Update new members)
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2015, 7:52 pm

Welcome, gfulton glad to see that glitch of your trying to post was taken care of. 
Please post your questions, in the test equipment section for that Sprauge TelOhm 16,
You can also post your need for a schematic in our trading post forum.

PostSubject: New guy checking in.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2015, 4:58 pm

66 yr. old retired airline avionics tech.  Got my electronics training at the Navy aviation school in Millington, TN in '68 when I was a Marine.  Got an old Tektronix 555 dual trace scope that my youngest son rescued from being scrapped at his college.  An even 100 firebottles and it heats my little electronics repair shop up nice and toasty and works perfect.  Couple of signal generators and I seem to be a magnet for old capacitor testers with the "magic eye" tube.  I'm working on a very rare one now, a Sprague TO-16 and need to post here for some help locating a proper schematic.  Got the factory manual, but the schem. is not correct.  Hope to exercise some old Navy trained brain cells that have been dormant for a while with the help of you guys here. I like vacuum tubes.

Garrett
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2015, 3:09 pm

Nice looking collection in that avatar there Bobber57. Welcome to the forum!! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: New Member   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2015, 9:42 am

I'm Bobber57.  I'm nearing 60 and hopefully will soon be having some time on my hands to learn more about the sets I have and try to bring a few more back to life.  I'm so-so at electronic restoration and not so hot at cabinet fixes.  I've got a good collection going and I'm trying to consolidate to the mantle sets or "curtain burners" of the early 1930's.  I've gotten some that are truly basket cases and a couple that are near museum pieces.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2015, 3:27 pm

Look for antique radio clubs, and ham radio clubs. I do believe Virginia has a major radio club.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] /
Is a good possibilty.

PostSubject: Radiola 64   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2015, 3:11 pm

Hello, I have just signed up with Antique Radio Lab.  I really have no training in antique radios.  I do happen to have a very old radio and I'm looking for help with its restoration.  I'm looking for someone qualified and capable of helping me restore an RCA Radiola 64, Model AR 764.  This is a large piece with doors that open for the radio tuner, on/off switch etc.  The record player is accessed from the top by a lid.  This is all original and has been in my family since purchased new.  

I live in Virginia Beach, VA and I'm looking for a highly qualified restorer that could work with me on this project.

Thanks for any help you can provide:

tmw1967
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2015, 9:05 am

Go to our tools Forum section to see what you need for doing repairs, a soldering gun and solder, either solder wick or a solder sucker are necessary, learning proper soldering technics are a requirement, to avoid anguish.

Most radios have bad filter caps, that MUST be replaced. Welcome to our forum and read all you can.

PostSubject: Please allow me to introduce myself   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2015, 8:44 am

I'm not a man of wealth, but I like to think that I have good taste.  I am a music lover and all things antique.  My wife bought her first antique before we met in the 1980's.  It is a Stewart Warner Sheridan 58 Highboy.  The cabinet is quite beautiful, but the radio is non functional.  For the past 30 years we talked about getting it repaired, but it's really hard to find anyone to do it.  Now that I'm retired, I decided to embark into the unknown and try to repair the radio myself.  I have no experience repairing electronics, but I can read so the first thing I did was go to my public library and I picked up "Antique Radio Restoration Guide 2nd Edition" by David Johnson.  I read the book and plucked up the courage to remove the guts from the Sheridan.  I intend to post many questions with photos and I sure hope that with your help I can get the Sheridan to live again. sunny
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2015, 10:32 am

Hello dspkwu
It's nice to have you join!
Don't hesitate to jump in and ask questions, or give us some of your experience and insights.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2015, 10:09 am

Hello ganderson.
Here's a link for the schematic for your Zenith.

Nostalgia air link-click here

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2015, 5:31 pm

Hi Cliff,
Thanks for permitting me to join the forum.
User Name...dspwku
combination of initials and college
Age...83
Birthday...10-31-1931
Location...South Central KY
Interests... Electronics, Philosophy
Hobbies... Amateur Radio, Metal Detecting, Cameras
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: New Member gandersen, Cincinnati   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2015, 6:11 am

Just registered and want to introduce myself.
A friend of mine just moved from Cincinnati, (my current location) and as part of his house cleaning gave me a Zenith 8-S-359 console radio.
The radio cabinet is in great condition and the radio picks up a few local stations.
I am interested in reconditioning this radio and learning more about the vintage radio hobby.

I am looking for an owners manual as I am not sure about the function of some of the push buttons ect.

I look forward to getting an education from the forum members.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2015, 7:23 pm

Glad you joined. everyone here, welcomes you.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2015, 4:06 pm

hey all,

new to this forum so this is my first post.
been in the consumer electronics repair industry for way too many years.
started out with vacuum tubes and then transistors then digital to present day.
seen lots of changes some that i liked and some that i hated, and seen alot of repair shops fold in the 1980s. also have seen too many parts houses close and really hate that i have to purchase parts over the internet. this might sound funny but i miss the smell that old electronics surplus parts houses had. it was kind of like an atmosphere like being in a bar. there always seemed to be the right people hanging around. oh well progress.

i have a little repair shop in my back yard where i repair some electronics. i also have been repairing tube table top radios etc and some televisions which mainly need recapping, and also recap motherboards for a local PC store and that provides some extra needed income which helps support my electronics habit.

all test equipment is from the 1960s and 1970s. tektronix and hp oscilloscopes both 100mhz. some heathkit cap testers and simpson vom and vtvm along with rca vtvm and misc. other tv / radio testers and signal generators etc.

really miss the old days of electronics when things were built to last and when they did need repairs, the repairs could be done and last for along while, unlike todays disposable throw away society.

well that is all for now and glad to be here. hope to learn and contribute.

life is good.
the poorguy
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2015, 9:59 am

That's good to know about your transistor interests. A hearty welcome!
I think a lot of members, only want to socialize as you said,  I still go there because they have a huge membership, and always go directly to the items for sale first. I also go to tube radio forum, since I helped as a administrator/moderator and set things up for Bill the current administrator. 
A lot of socialization there, very little lately on repair skills and advice. Oldsmobile man started that forum, which I was a member from the beginning. 

However like you stated, I wanted this forum of mine to be for the serious minded repairer and those wanting to build their knowledge of electronics, especially in the testing and calibration of radios, instead of appliance's and TVs.

Please delve right in and contribute with your knowledge and experience. Delighted to have you here.

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2015, 6:55 pm

Mitch here.  Used to be on the antiqueradios.com forums under the same name but got tired of snarky know-it-alls and overzealous moderators.  Lots of talent there with some amazing people who contribute to the forum politely.  Had to quit since it wasn't any fun there anymore. 

Looking forward to seeing more of the technical side and less socializing.  Not that there's anything wrong with the social aspect, but thats where the heated debates tend to occur. 

I specialize in old transistor radios and Heathkit / Test equipment restorations. 

If you need an old transistor radio schematic, I have about 125 of the 156 Sams TSMs in my collection.  Hit me with a pm or email.  I'm always happy to help out. 

~ Mitch ~
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2015, 7:19 pm

Michael, my "sign off" on other forums is "a friend in need is a pest".  Therefore, welcome!
Jerry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2015, 7:12 pm

Cliff Jones wrote:
Weve a solution for PEST's and It's our secret Weapon, A spray can called answers.

I like that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Members Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next