ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Deforest Crosley 8D991 cabinet finished

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

Deforest Crosley  8D991  cabinet finished Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deforest Crosley 8D991 cabinet finished   Deforest Crosley  8D991  cabinet finished I_icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2018, 1:02 pm

That is another beautiful radio!  You must have enough of them to heat your house, with them turned on in the winter.  Smile

Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Deforest Crosley 8D991 cabinet finished   Deforest Crosley  8D991  cabinet finished I_icon_minitimeJuly 29th 2018, 3:24 pm

HI Cliff:
  The third number designates the number of tubes  and the second letter tells you it is  R= rogers
M=Majestic D= DeForest Crosley. The first one is the year  1938
 so this  8D991  is a 1938 DeForest Crosley with 9 tubes.  mine is called  LISZT
 There is another version of this radio called  Brahams, and it has pushbuttons.
 see photo

I had a friend draw out the changes to the wiring for the voltage booster and he said it was good at 300 volts, but I don't know any more than that.
 Thanks for the tip on storing eye tubes
  Dan in Calgary

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Deforest Crosley 8D991 cabinet finished   Deforest Crosley  8D991  cabinet finished I_icon_minitimeJuly 29th 2018, 12:41 pm

I would love to Have that model, I really like the Dial design. The cabinet Finish is great. Good Job on restoration. How Many Tubes?

FYI: I have heard that they eye tubes will degrade over time when exposed to daylight, and avoid that by storing them in boxes to block light.

Question: But how high of a voltage can you go without eventually declining the brightness and exceed recommended voltage from the Mfg.?

Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Deforest Crosley 8D991 cabinet finished   Deforest Crosley  8D991  cabinet finished I_icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2018, 6:16 pm

Here are a couple of more photos.
 Dan in Calgary

Back to top Go down
Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Deforest Crosley 8D991 cabinet finished   Deforest Crosley  8D991  cabinet finished I_icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2018, 6:13 pm

Yesterday I finished up this nice radio.
I did the chassis during the winter.
It has the original 6X6 eye tube, but I boosted the voltage to the eye tube from 200 volts to 300 volts to make it brighter. I also put in a switch so the power to the eye tube can be turned off
to save the tube during extended playing of the radio.
     It is called the'' LISZT
   Dan in calgary

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deforest Crosley 8D991 cabinet finished   Deforest Crosley  8D991  cabinet finished I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deforest Crosley 8D991 cabinet finished
Page 1 of 1