ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
(registration and/or Login Help ONLY) For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

"Roll your own" condensers.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: "Roll your own" condensers.   October 9th 2018, 5:42 pm

The following I read about in an old magazine decades back, but it does work.
Take 2 thin, the thinner the better, cardboard tubes that closely fit inside each other. Cover the outer one with copper foil on the outside and the same for the inner tube.
 Solder wires to them and you have a variable condenser. The longer the tubes, the more capacitance you have.
 Now this is more of a "fun" project that a readily usable item, but just think of a neat 6' long tuning condenser! Laughing. You can use foil also, but it's hard to solder to.

One method that was used to make fixed condensers was old photographic glass negative plates or cutting square window glass plates and alternate them with foil. Connect every other foil together, and you can make a fixed condenser that is capable of handling quite high voltages. This method was in some plans I saw for transmitters and Tesla  coils.
Back to top Go down
chas
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: "Roll your own" condensers.   October 9th 2018, 7:53 pm

Frank,

I made the glass condenser for a small induction coil driven Tesla/Oudin coil worked fine...

It was entered into the local Science Fair, (remember those?) Got a mention, it was novel as  it worked with a lantern battery... I still have a few bits or it around...

I also have a mica stack condenser, mica and brass sheets, in a large "L" bracket, clamped by a brass bar with machine screws, the works dipped in bees wax. It is around somewhere in the attic, unused. FWIR "Dublier"

Gernsback's Modern Electrics are full of these construction articles. Great resource for wireless set replication...

The Massie wireless system used variable condensers with rollers that wedges of foil wound onto. The variable inductors worked the same way.

Chas
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: "Roll your own" condensers.   October 10th 2018, 5:37 pm

The old Gernsback books are really cool.  Cool
I was fortunate enough to buy an estate of an old radio guy, and got many of the original copies. Lindsey Publications had reproductions of the books, but they are out of business now.

i was unaware of the Massie systems, but it does seem to me I saw something about 50+ years back on the roller thing. Sort of like the old roller blinds concept. Might be a fun project using the roll chart mech. out of an old tube tester. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
chas
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: "Roll your own" condensers.   October 11th 2018, 8:48 am

I found this local site:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Point Judith is 24 miles Sowest of my QTH...

I looked through Lens page for some images of these unusual receiving device but the focus was on the transmitter and the Resonophone.

It is huge and rambling page, but the intent was to discuss all of Massie...

The glass plate transmitting condenser is shown in several images...

It's an afternoon read for sure...

Chas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Roll your own" condensers.   

Back to top Go down

"Roll your own" condensers.
Page 1 of 1