ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Flexible wire for test leads

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Flexible wire for test leads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexible wire for test leads   Flexible wire for test leads I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2020, 9:54 pm

If you need really high voltage insulation on the leads, the old timey non resistor stranded spark plug wire works pretty good, but a bit bulky.
 Wildcat- I have seen it offered on Ali Express very reasonably.

Mark Oppat at Moppatatcomcastdotcom likely has some available. Just add the appropriate characters to the address and delete the alpha subs.
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Flexible wire for test leads   Flexible wire for test leads I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2020, 2:27 pm

Belden is also a good source for test lead wire to make your own test leads. High grade standard test lead wire is still made with rubber insulation, is rated for 5KV working voltage and gives good service for a long time. 

I did a quick ebay check and at least one seller is offering Belden 20 Gauge wire with rubber insulation in red and black 10' lengths for a total of 20' for $9.90 plus $3.95 shipping; and another seller has 20 Gauge wire, red only, 25' with special plastic PVC insulation at $17.44 post paid.

As for finding some shielded wire with a braid over one or more conductors: Coaxial cable such as RG-58 has been used as a substitute. Coaxial cable with a solid center conductor will not be very flexible. There was quite a lot of shielded wire (cable) available at one time for audio, video, microphone, and use in receivers and transmitters where it was needed. Some of it had special properties. There should be some rolls of NOS shielded and stranded wire out there that is more like what has been used in radios and test equipment. If worse comes to worse, you could salvage small amounts out of junked equipment. 
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Flexible wire for test leads   Flexible wire for test leads I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2020, 12:51 pm

Pomona is a good quality online source. Look for Silicon rubber with a high wire strand count (the more stands make it more flexible) I think I have see some with over 40 strands, several gauges of the wire itself. Lots of sellers on Ebay too.

Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Flexible wire for test leads   Flexible wire for test leads I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2020, 8:01 am

Where can I buy flexible wire for use as test leads?  The big shielded wire used in signal generators, scopes and that?  Maybe I don't know what it's officially called besides "flexible wire".  I can't seem to find any for some reason.  Thanks.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flexible wire for test leads   Flexible wire for test leads I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flexible wire for test leads
Page 1 of 1