ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms   easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2020, 5:26 pm

Um, I apologize for the smart remark answer... Using math is the correct way, changing the value of a modern film resistor is almost impossible.

The thought come to mind, as a boy I had a beat-up Tripplett meter that had a pop up dual meter housing. When changing the battery, the circuits were exposed, a 2 watt (big) carbon dog-bone resistor was trimmed to tolerance with a large notch in its center, painted the color of the 3d place "dot"...

That image remained in my mind when a resistor was needed that I could not double up. So I filed one to fit.

To our readers, any resistor that has changed value should be removed, there in no telling how much more it has changed, if it will change with heat/cool or be noisy...
Yah, I have to get back into my Zenith 53, I relied on those old resistors. They were initially fine, then after a few hours of operation, they have changed value and change when ever the radio warms up and the radio looses sensitivity. It a good radio for about 10 minutes Rolling Eyes 

A project when I get "caught-up"...

I got a bargain on 1% 2 watt metal film resistors so I can hit the OEM values. I intend to paint over them so they will "agree" with the Zenith markings... They are as big as the 1/2 watt resistors in the radio... So they will look and reach the existing terminals

Chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms   easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2020, 11:57 am

Thanks Chas! Of course you are absolutely right for non RF applications, I forgot about that method.

Tolerances of just common radios and amplifiers are not usually considered because of parts tolerances used (5-20%) 

Question follows, are you allowing for current, or is doing that, reducing wattage of resistor or voltage?

I think it gets more complicated when working with AC and RF. That may need some extra thought.

Were not talking design considerations or measurements tolerances, when its not used in critical situations. Just my opinion. Previous thoughts just popped up while posting.

Of course your talking about the old style carbon composition resistors, right?
I have almost non of that type, but a lot more of the ceramic, film and wire wounds.

But another point would be, filing an old out of tolerance resistor would bring it back into tolerance.

Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms   easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2020, 9:43 am

Use a 1.8K carbon resistor and file a notch in the center, test, keep filing until value is found. Seal with clear nail polish or a bit of clear lacquer...
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms   easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms I_icon_minitimeJune 28th 2020, 8:03 pm

I used to have a program in a plugin card for my former HP-41 Calculator. Best calculator at the time.
Now I have search to come up with a program but I will make my own I guess on my HP 48SX.

OK here's the fun part.

I need to replace a resistor at my bench project but I don't have whats needed, what do I do?

I found a resistor that's almost close enough but not within the percentage of the value needed.

I need a goofy value of  1.93Kohms

I have on hand a 2.5Kohm resistor. Since it's higher in value than whats needed but close I will use it.

So I need to use another unknown value resistor to be connected in parallel to approach the replacement Value.
 So to find what I need is to use this formula and do some implementations.

So Here we go:
1.  required value?  = Rt = Required Total value. = 1.93Kohms

2.  known found close value resistor = R1 = 2.5Kohm

3.  search for this value at the store or stash. = R2

Formula to solve problem?

R2 = (R1 * Rt) / (R1 - RT)

2.5KOHM (R1) X  1.93KOHM (RT)
---------------------------------------
 2.5KOHM (R1)  -  1.93KOHM   (RT)

=   4,825,000
     ---------

=  8.464KOhms
OR  
=  8.5KOHMS
(IF IT'S NOT THAT TIGHT OF A TOLERANCE)

PostSubject: Re: easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms   easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

easy to calculate when you dont have right ohms
Page 1 of 1