ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

A New One On Me

Go down 
+2
atwaterkent
Dan Walker
6 posters
AuthorMessage
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2020, 10:40 am

That's the same with my car.  1 push on the keyfob unlocks the driver door, 2 pushes unlocks all the rest of the doors.

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2020, 7:36 am

I have a spare also but is a regular cut key. It will open the drivers door and I can put it in the ignition lock but it will not start the Car.
I only have the drivers door that has a lock, not even the trunk has a lock.

Technician
Technician
19&41

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2020, 4:28 am

I had a spare non RFID key made to keep in my wallet in case of locking ny keys inside,  It will unlock the driver's door, but not start the car.

FrankB
FrankB

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2020, 9:05 pm

Ace Hardware made me a spare chip key. Was about $63.00.
 IIRC Dealer wanted, I think 135.00 or more.
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2020, 8:37 pm

Each time the key is used, there is an automagic index of a crytocode. That foils any attempt at a duplicate key being used to unlock AND start the car. Manufacturers are aware the keys can be identified thus this rolling code.

Though not a theft issue I noted my car detects the Bluetooth link for my 5S iphone while parked in my drive way...

That as it may I could make a "private" call in my car so long as the key is in the ignition and "on". Yet, the cell phone on the charger slipped under the Zenith 53 in my living room Rolling Eyes  Chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2020, 6:47 pm

However, Back about old keys they were only $00.75 now their over $300 at Toyota even for a 2012 Camry affraid

For the most part I don't use them to unlock the car door. Too many Thieves  with electronic hacker searchers.

In fact in Consumers Report they suggest when you get home instead leaving them close to front door, get a tin can and drop your keys into the can to shield them.

I have a wallet that is lined with some kind of metal so the thieves cant steal your credit card info.

Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2020, 3:38 pm

I'd much rather have my key fob than go back to the old ways of locking and unlocking my car.
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2020, 2:38 pm

I think those procedures are for a keyfob remote or a key that has a remote incorporated into the key's handle.  These keys have a RFID circuit that has to be incorporated into the system.

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeJuly 4th 2020, 3:54 pm

Depending on the vehicle you can reset the Key- I have never tried this but some of them you insert the key for a certain amount of time, then open the drivers door, roll the window down, hit the lock-unlock door push button, A lot of these are on the web, like Tricks to resetting your electronic key.

Technician
Technician
19&41

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2020, 7:53 pm

Here is what happened to it.  My car has 1 lock on it.  If it is locked, I with only a key, have to access the car through the driver's door, then unlock the other doors from there.  And when any of the passenger doors are opened, it deploys the power running board, which is unnecessary if I need to just open the back gate or window.  If it had keyed access to the other doors it would have been easier to do without the remote keyfob.  I went today and got a spare key for my lockout card I keep in the wallet.  A door lock only key is $3.53.  An ignition key is $75 because it has an RFID transponder in the plastic head on the key.  Fortunately, the dumb lockout key is just to get me to the smart keys locked inside.  I think this remote situation is one of the reasons I got this car so cheap.

By the way, It's a Ford Explorer Limited.

Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2020, 6:44 pm

I just have to say this.

What ever happened to people physically locking the car doors
 and physically unlocking the car doors?
  What ever happened to people physically turning on the headlights
 and physically turning them off?
 I have a 1976 Buick Limited , and that system works very well for me.
   Dan in Calgary
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2020, 11:28 am

When I was in the Hospital last year I let friends and family use my car. When I came Home, The key was missing to my car (lost I guess). Went to Toyota and it would be over $300 for a replacement.
Found a Local Lock & key shop Advertising Electronic Key replacements. Because of Delays and such they only charged me about $120. They had me go to a closer Shop they owned and Reprogrammed a new Key. Much Cheaper than the Dealer. Very Happy

Technician
Technician
19&41

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2020, 4:38 pm

The car that I recently purchased has been pretty nice so far except for one problem.  The remote keyfob remote would not operate the locks on the car.  I finally got up the nerve to take it to the dealership to get an estimate on how much it would cost to have it repaired.   They said it would need a diagnostic test on the vehicle and that would apply to any repair.  I left it there at 7am and at 5:30 they called and said it was done and working at $20 over the diagnostic fee.  They had to do a master reset and re enter the software for the door lock/alarm system.  Now that I have the engine management systems figured out, now everything else on this vehicle is involved with computer systems.  Well, It's great while it's working. Smile

Sponsored content

A New One On Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New One On Me   A New One On Me I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A New One On Me
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: General Chatting Forum-
Jump to: