ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Spaghetti wire

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Spaghetti wire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spaghetti wire   Spaghetti wire I_icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2022, 4:43 am

Just caught your post.
 I buy colored heat shrink the same color as the wire with the crumbling rubber insulation and slip the heat shrink over the wire. I have used this shortcut for decades with no problems. I do not shrink the tubing, but leave it "as is'.
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

Spaghetti wire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spaghetti wire   Spaghetti wire I_icon_minitimeApril 14th 2021, 11:54 am

SharkyP wrote:
I am attempting my first radio repair on a 1941 zenith 6 tube. The wiring is cracked and falling apart. What is the correct AWG size for replacement. I suspect it is 20, but I do not know how to determine the size. Thanks.
The size can be measured with a micrometer and reference a wire chart. For strand wire measure one strand and define in the chart. Then count all the strands usually it will be an odd count. Then refer to either a strand wire chart or a manufactures chart to get the equivalent size.

An alternate is use the charts area in circular mils for a single strand, then multiply by the number of strands, then take that amount of circular mils and look up an equivalent solid wire size as circular mils, that, will be the size for the strand wire. This does not apply to litz wire but that is magnet wire and not for hookup...  chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Spaghetti wire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spaghetti wire   Spaghetti wire I_icon_minitimeApril 12th 2021, 11:36 am

Theres a lot of work in Zeniths as there notorious for that issue. If you see some that are cracked but bare wire isn't showing so they wont have the potential of shorting I would leave them alone, but the wire that has the rubber insulation that has fallen off I would tackle first. Wiring in the RF and IF sections can be critical as to the original layout. I would suggest taking a high resolution Camera and photographing different perspective of the wire placement and components.

Most wiring for extension cords usually has a tag on it telling the current rating and the size of the wire. Usually 18 and 20 gauge so that would give you a perspective to size. Multi-strand wire is OK but you have to make sure that the wires are not nicked or missing to be safe. Don't use automotive wire in the high voltage sections as the insulation breakdown voltage should meet the volt required.
The rule is the smaller the gauge number, the larger the wire. (Goofy as it may be)
house wiring is usually solid but for appliances such as lamps fans etc are multi-stranded for flexibility.

here is a chart on wire size. 

Spaghetti wire RelativeAWGaugeDiameter
I would suggest 20 or 22 gauge
You can also get a wire gauge from Hobby stores,  hardware stores LOWES, Ace Hardware or electric supply and building materials store, online EBay or Amazon and Tool shops like Starret tools (They are EXPENSIVE) but Harbor Freight has them much Cheaper.

Beginning Member

Spaghetti wire Empty
PostSubject: Spaghetti wire   Spaghetti wire I_icon_minitimeApril 12th 2021, 11:02 am

I am attempting my first radio repair on a 1941 zenith 6 tube. The wiring is cracked and falling apart. What is the correct AWG size for replacement. I suspect it is 20, but I do not know how to determine the size. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spaghetti wire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spaghetti wire   Spaghetti wire I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spaghetti wire
Page 1 of 1