ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

GE 7-2990A

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2021, 12:12 am

I would like to find one of the GE "Super Radios", but no joy so far. They were touted to be exceptional.
Back to top Go down
kend
Beginning Member

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2021, 2:41 am

Frank -I can't be too harsh on GE (they have also supplied me with a monthly stipend for the past 21+ years :-) for contracting this radio design/main board position; overall a very good receiver, with or without a long-wire antenna.

I have had one response from "electrotanya" - it was: "it's harder to put back in", in Hungarian  Mad

If this stuff was easy, anyone could do it!!
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2021, 11:30 pm

Kend,
 One of THOSE horrible radios.
I hated those where you had to remove the entire case to get to adjustments. I didn't run into them too often, but detested working on them when I had to repair one of them. It always seemed that a wire would break off and it was a real PITA to figure out where it went back to. Phones with cameras do make it a lot easier though.
Back to top Go down
kend
Beginning Member

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 30th 2021, 3:55 am

Frank - I have the original "Service Manual" which has alignments, layouts, stringing guide, etc. BUT it doesn't cover the assembly/disassembly procedures. At some point, someone would have been through the procedure for removing the main board - when you take the back off, you are looking at the BOTTOM of the main board and ALL of the adjustments are on the opposite side of the board. I just have to get the main board away in order to access the audio output jack and replace it. I did previously check out "Electrotanya" - they listed the same pubs I currently have. Thanks for the tip to post a message at "Electrotanya", just did.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 28th 2021, 10:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Might get you the schematic. They list some Panasonic/ Matsushita models with similar numbers. 
barring that, put in a request in the forum.
 Oh, be sure to click "English".
Back to top Go down
kend
Beginning Member

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 27th 2021, 6:06 pm

Thanks Frank - The Japanese manual I had access to was for the Pansonic RF-2600C, which seems to be similar to the GE 7-2900A but on the OUTSIDE only - the innards of the GE 7-2990A are a very different story. The GE was made by National Pansonic (Matsushita).
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2021, 8:55 pm

Kend-
I  have used Google Translate with fair success. Just snap a pix or point the smart fone at the text and it does a fair job of translation when I have tried it.
Back to top Go down
kend
Beginning Member

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Jacks   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2021, 6:05 pm

A little late to the discussion, but [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] explains it well. Thanks Cliff for the 3.5mm jack layouts. see also [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for additional info....
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2021, 5:40 pm

Thanks Cliff. I have to say that I am without words to respond with. I would guess that ham radio operators have not (generally) referred to either type of phone jack or plug in that manner. 2 conductor and 3 conductor jacks/plugs are the terms I am most familiar with. Thanks.
73, Rod
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: TS & TRS style jacks defined   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2021, 5:23 pm

TS jack were originally designed for telephone systems

T = Tip
S = Sleeve
-----------------

Trs Jack

T = Tip
R = Ring
S = Sleeve

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2021, 2:02 pm

Hi Kend,
OK. I have to finally ask what is a "TS" style phone jack? I have to admit that I am not familiar with them. 1/8'' or 1/4" or something else? PC board mount or panel mounting? There was also a 3/16" size that was used on WWII military radio equipment primarily for microphone connections. Collins and also R.L. Drake used them for the same purpose on some models of their radio equipment. In fact, such plugs have been called "Collins" plugs for years now. Good luck on your work with the GE. 
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
kend
Beginning Member

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 12th 2021, 6:21 am

Thanks for the input, Rod. I have a couple of spare TS type jacks laying around and once I get to the the one in the unit, I'll replace it - it should then last for my lifetime. The problem lies in what is the best way to get to it...

Like a blind dog in a meat house - he can smell the meat, but can't get to it. --author unknown
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 11th 2021, 6:02 pm

Hope that phone jack will clean up OK once you can get to it. A "bad" one can be a nuisance and prevent any audio from getting to the speaker. If it is of the earlier open type you may find the contacts simply out of alignment with each other. I had one jack (1/8") in a computer sound system that was found to be internally defective. I ended up wiring around it as the original PC board mount jack was non-standard and didn't really need the headphone jack. Enough of those on most computers. Good luck.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
kend
Beginning Member

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 9th 2021, 3:38 am

Cliff, thanks for the response. I have the service and operators manual for this unit and it doesn't go in to the tear-down section, mainly alignment and mechanicals, etc. I did manage to get a Japanese version of the proper factory service manual but no help as it is all in Japanese. This unit is similar to but not identical the Pansonic RF-2600C/DR-26. When you take off the rear panel, you are faced with the BOTTOM of the main PC board (solder runs only). The alignment stuff is on  the opposite side of the board, ummm.

I think that I will have to remove everything inside so I can get to the front TS audio jack, which needs cleaning/replacement. I have only had to repair this unit once in the early 90's - bad nylon gear (cracked) in the tuning assy. which is easy to get to - got a nylon gear that was identical from a hobby shop that dealt in slot cars and their associated parts.

Hopefully, someone has been down this road....

"Anything can happen - but it usually doesn't" --humorist Robert Benchley
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 7th 2021, 4:29 pm

You might try to look for the service manual, on line if you hadn't. That would include online book stores.
Radio Ham clubs and even contact G.E. (doubtful).

Beginning Member

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitimeMay 6th 2021, 6:10 am

Has anyone attempted a tear-down of the GE 7-2990A SW receiver? In order to replace the TS headphone output jack, it looks like you have to take the main board out, which has all the other components mounted to it. There must be a better way to get to that jack which is under the main board. Any ones response with previous experience on this receiver will be appreciated.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GE 7-2990A Empty
PostSubject: Re: GE 7-2990A   GE 7-2990A I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GE 7-2990A
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Shortwave and Amateur Radio :: Boat Anchors, scanners and Shortwave Receivers-
Jump to: