ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Testing Xistors on a DMM vs VTVM or Curve Tracer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Testing Xistors on a DMM vs VTVM or Curve Tracer  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Testing Xistors on a DMM vs VTVM or Curve Tracer    Testing Xistors on a DMM vs VTVM or Curve Tracer  I_icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2022, 1:38 pm

Here's a video using a breadboard  , Multimeter and simple wire and battery or Power supply to find both leakage and gain. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]   ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )

FrankB

Testing Xistors on a DMM vs VTVM or Curve Tracer  Empty
PostSubject: Testing Xistors on a DMM vs VTVM or Curve Tracer    Testing Xistors on a DMM vs VTVM or Curve Tracer  I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 12:17 am

It has been my experience that every DMM I have ever used is incapable of accurately testing a transistor or diode. 
 Why?
 The voltage and current on the leads is inadequate to overcome the junction voltage to get a real test of leakage.

I can put a known marginally leaky transistor on any of my DMM's and it shows fine. (Even my Flukes).

If I test the same xistor on a VTVM,  Huntron Tracker, it's Heathkit clone, curve tracer, and on my B&K 501 curve tracer.  it will show the leakage.

You may argue this point, but this has been my own personal experience many times in servicing over the years.

My Huntron Tracker  and my Heathkit clone of it have picked out many leaky transistors by looking at the "knee" junction. I have seen the meter change readings on a VTVM, as current flows in the device under test.

i have come to believe this is because most DVM's use limited current to the test leads. 

I never had any problem with the older equipment, just when I went to DMM's.

EDIT: If you build and use an 'Octopus" using a 6.3V transformer and resistors from some old articles, be aware that it can destroy dioses, especially Germanium types like the 1N34.

Last edited by FrankB on March 13th 2022, 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Testing Xistors on a DMM vs VTVM or Curve Tracer
Page 1 of 1