ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester   My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2023, 8:45 am

radiorich wrote:
Wow that is a really nice tester !
Richard -

I bought it last spring for that studio build, and equipped it with adapters for the equipment I was working with there. It has proven useful enough that it is now part of my regular field equipment.

radiorich
Beginning Member
radiorich

PostSubject: Re: My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester   My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester I_icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2023, 6:06 pm

Hello Dale,
Wow that is a really nice tester !
Sincerely Richard
Back to top Go down
thebeavt
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester   My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2022, 5:56 pm

Sounds good Dale.....
Hey, I was just looking at your website. Very nice ! You've really done a great job with it. 
Some fine projects there along with useful information......You do nice work.
Paul
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester   My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2022, 12:54 pm

thebeavt wrote:
Good luck on your project at the station there !
Thanks - it is a project that I hadn't expected to lead. I also hadn't expected to take on a major studio build for a cluster of six stations this late in life.

The Velleman is working out very well. I don't have to ring out anywhere near as many leads as you once did - everything I am working with is eight leads or less. In addition to connectors for testing the usual suspects in cables (IHF, XLR 3 & 5 pins, 1/4" and 1/8" TRS, mini DIN, 4 and 8 pin Speakon) the Velleman has a pair of 8 pin DIN jacks. That has allowed me to make a series of DIN-to-mating connector adapter cables to ring out cables with a variety of specialized connectors such as Molex and Euroblock on their ends.

thebeavt
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester   My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2022, 7:46 am

Boy, that's a great item for those that have a use for it.
When I was a kid, I worked for a time at an aircraft gauge rebuilder, calibrator, repair facility. I put together cables for test equipment, some having as many as 80 pins. It sure was time consuming running through those plugs with a continuity tester.
Good luck on your project at the station there !
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester   My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester I_icon_minitimeMay 15th 2022, 9:10 am

I am currently the lead engineer in building a new studio facility for a cluster of six radio stations. Because of the illness of the man who was scheduled to be the lead engineer and a deadline for moving out of the old building the initial temporary facilities that I built in the new building were done pretty hastily. Now I am building the permanent facilities and need to make a boatload of audio and data cables. I bought a cable tester to ring out the cables that I am making to ensure that they are correct. More than a decade ago I saw a very nice cable tester at a local parts jobber but was not willing to part with the over $100 price for it. The inventory of that jobber has changed in recent years and that cable tester had been marked down to $50. I bought it because I now have a need for it. I am now the owner of a Velleman VTTEST15 cable tester:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This German-made tester is solidly built in a steel case and handles a lot of the connectors that I am working with (see the VTTEST15 manual). Even if the connectors on the ends of a cable are of two different types it is possible to plug both ends into the Velleman, step through the switch positions, and see which pin on one end is connected to which pin on the other end.

There are a number of connectors in this build which the Velleman is not equipped with, such as Molex and Euroblock, but it has an 8-pin DIN jack on each side and I have built a few adapters with a DIN plug to connect to the Velleman and a Molex or Euroblock connector to mate with a cable end. When you consider that I am working with a few hundred cables in this build the time saving in being able to ring out cables is substantial.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester   My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Newest Toy - Velleman VTTEST15 Cable Tester
Page 1 of 1