ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Replacing Tuner Tubes and tubes on Chassis

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Replacing Tuner Tubes and tubes on Chassis Empty
PostSubject: Replacing Tuner Tubes and tubes on Chassis   Replacing Tuner Tubes and tubes on Chassis I_icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2022, 8:17 pm

If you have ever had to reach up and replace a tuner tube in a very restricted area, you know what a PITA this is.
 Be VERY gentle reinserting the tubes.

After you have tested them be certain the pins are TOTALLY straight.

If they are not, it is very difficult to get them into the pin socket.

Now, if you are having difficulty getting the keyway aligned- Step back and take 5.

I have seen a number of cases where the tech(?) went ape and actually pushed the tube pins through the solid keyway area, making another hole.
  This virtually guarantees that you will have to remove the tuner and try to get the pins on the tube properly aligned, or you might even- horrors of horrors- have to disassemble the tuner, replace the socket and re-align the tuner.

NOT a job for the faint hearted. 

This mostly seems to occur on the phenolic wafer type sockets. I have never seen it happen on the Bakelite, ceramic, or micarta ones.

I only ran across this happening on chassis tubes a few times in all my years of servicing. 

Also take care inserting Compactron tubes as it is very easy to bend a pin, and I have seen where Magnoval (The large 9 pin tubes with the thick pins); have been forced into the wrong socket destroying the standard large 9 pin Compactron socket.
Back to top Go down

Replacing Tuner Tubes and tubes on Chassis
Page 1 of 1