ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Ballast repl. with Resistor and 1L6 Sub. Zen TO

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Ballast repl. with Resistor and 1L6 Sub. Zen TO Empty
PostSubject: Ballast repl. with Resistor and 1L6 Sub. Zen TO   Ballast repl. with Resistor and 1L6 Sub. Zen TO I_icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2023, 11:50 pm

When replacing a ballast tube in a radio or TV set remember the ballast does more than drop the voltage. It also REGULATES the current.

There was a guy making a "replacement" for the ballast tube in the Zenith Transoceanic radios. When I was servicing, the shop ordered one and to my horror, it was just a 600 ohm 10-15 Watt resistor soldered to an old broken off miniature tube base- (Not fibbing! Looked like crap.) with a test tube slipped down over it. VERY pixx poor sub and to rub salt into that wound, the idiot didn't even solder it to the correct pins on the base, and the solder was poor on the connections he made, PLUS the test tube was broken when received! The resistor did work, but I was not pleased with no current regulation. We tossed the broken test tube in the garbage to allow the resistor better cooling.  Yes, the resistor would have dropped the voltage, but not regulated the current.

Long after, I found a there is a good circuit on the internet you can find that uses an IC and a few parts as a ballast replacement for the T.O. and regulates both voltage AND current. I have some of the IC's but have not had time to build the circuit yet.

Then adding to this, we had ordered at the same time from the same guy an adaptor for subbing in a 1LA6 in place of the 1L6 tube. It arrived with bare wires between the socket and base all twisted and shorted together. PLUS the tube was totally flat. Wouldn't even budge the T/T meter- even after cleaning the pins. He did supply us with a new tube, but we never again did business with him.
 When I did get the 1LA6 adaptor properly fixed, it did work quite well.

Cost for the resistor, broken off tube base and the kluged up adaptor? $50.00 for the pair.  Ripoff? You decide.
Back to top Go down

Ballast repl. with Resistor and 1L6 Sub. Zen TO
Page 1 of 1