ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Sharpening knives

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Sharpening knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sharpening knives   Sharpening knives I_icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2023, 6:55 am

I have had quite a few knives in  my time and  I have found that the best way to get them
very sharp is a knife sharpening kit called   GATCO.   It stands for 
 Great American  Tool  Company.
  It keeps the sharpening angle the same all the time.

I have not found anything better, and I have been sharpening hunting knives for over 60 years.
 https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=gatco+knife+sharpening+kit
  Dan in Calgary
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Sharpening knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sharpening knives   Sharpening knives I_icon_minitimeJuly 4th 2023, 6:29 pm

Well it might make difference in whether its a right handed or left handed tool.  Suspect

Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

Sharpening knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sharpening knives   Sharpening knives I_icon_minitimeJuly 4th 2023, 6:21 am

FrankB wrote:
... more people seem to be injured by a dull one than a sharp one.

In Boy Scouts I was taught that a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. I disagree as I am prone to poking myself with an X-Acto knife.

Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

Sharpening knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sharpening knives   Sharpening knives I_icon_minitimeJuly 4th 2023, 6:18 am

I use a double-sided whetstone and water to start the sharpening. To finish I use an oilstone that my grandfather bought nearly a century ago, so I am the third generation to use it.

FrankB
FrankB

Sharpening knives Empty
PostSubject: Sharpening knives   Sharpening knives I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2023, 11:37 pm

Knife sharpening seems odd for the forum, but think how often you use one in building or repairing.

Now I detest dull knives, and more people seem to be injured by a dull one than a sharp one.

So this is the story:

I bought a mobile home and the shower door on the tub was garbage.
I tore it out and had a huge mess of silicone sealant all over the top of the tub. The tub was enameled cast iron.
I grabbed a old pocket knife to use as i misplaced my putty knife I used as a scraper. Now the knife was so dull it would barely rip paper

I figured it wouldn't hurt the tub at all. I then proceeded to scrape off massive amounts of silicone for several hours. Yeah it was a real mess.
 As I was almost done I needed to cut something and unthinkingly grabbed the knife and it cut the material like it was butter! WTH???
So I took and felt the "dull" knife edge. Man it was literally razor blade sharp. Much sharper than the utility knife blades I had.

This is what happened. Unknowingly, I was scraping with just the correct angle on the tub edge and after hundreds of strokes in both directions, had managed to hone the knife to a fantastic sharpness.

I mentioned this to a friend, and he was a carpenter. He said  that the ceramic tub acted like a honing stone, and he even used the edge of his ceramic toilet bowl base to hone his knives after he put in a fiberglass combo assembly.

So if you need your knife really sharp and your sharpening stone just doesn't do the job, and you have a ceramic tub or toilet bowl, you can get a great edge on your knife with a bit of effort.
 Use this tip at your own risk, also I have not tried it on an artificial stone sink or toilet.

A friend also told me you could use the rim of a red terra cotta ceramic flower pot also. I have not tried this yet.

This could make for some very odd interaction with the XYL. "Dear, what are you doing to the tub/toilet?"  "Just sharpening my knife". "XYL- "Oh I thought you were actually cleaning the bathroom for once". Neutral ( That couch had better be mighty comfy for the night. LOL).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sharpening knives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sharpening knives   Sharpening knives I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sharpening knives
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Radio Repair Bench :: Radio parts, Tools, and supplies. :: Tools-Hand type-
Jump to: