ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard   Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard I_icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2023, 3:01 am

I really have no idea, but bean counters rule the companies. Profit, profit, profit. Just like today.

Back then if they could save .10 per unit and they make 10,000 units, that was a lot of money; considering a loaf of bread was .$05 a loaf and a Coke was $.05. Gas was maybe $.10/gallon. (I can remember when it was $.17/ gallon here).
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard   Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2023, 5:52 am

I have always wondered what the price, labor and material cost difference between the resistor cord and an actual resistor was. Would it really have been that big a spread?
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard   Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard I_icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2023, 9:29 pm

There was a time when they made radios with power cords that had 3 wires in the cord, but only TWO prongs on the cord.

Now these radios can generally be recognized by adding up the series filament string voltages. They will have a lower than normal filament voltage total.

They made power cords with a 3rd wire in them that was a DROPPING RESISTANCE!.

They were called " curtain burner" radios for a very good reason. The heat from the dropping resistance in the power cord could set houses on fire. Often times a radio was placed by a window and the curtain could touch the power cord. You now know why the name.

I would never try restoring one of these sets without adding a high wattage resistor of the same value as the line cord resistance, and replacing the line cord with a new one.

I have 1-2 of these sets in my collection and even have a few NOS power cords for them, but I would never try to use a NOS resistance line cord due to the hazard and age of the NOS cord.

I was really confused when I first worked on one of these sets. I had heard of the "Curtain Burner" radios, but had never seen one.  I just decided that trying to repair one of them without knowing the resistance and wattage of a dropping resistor was just way too dangerous. I just stashed them away in my storage locker. I had no schematic for the radio to determine what resistance was needed. aside from the fact that the power cord had been cut off for a VERY good reason. I did dissect the power cord and found a piece of the resistance wire inside it.

I can only venture a guess that it was cheaper for the mfgr. to put on a resistance line cord than to add another tube, socket and associated parts. I suspect these were really a bottom of the line radio, built as cheaply as possible with only 3-4 tubes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard   Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Cords on Curtain Burner Tube Radios- Fire Hazard
Page 1 of 1