ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

"Canned Ohm" resistors

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

"Canned Ohm" resistors Empty
PostSubject: "Canned Ohm" resistors   "Canned Ohm" resistors I_icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2023, 10:20 pm

The so called 'Canned Ohm " resistor is quite interesting.

It is a wire wound power resistor, typically used as a voltage divider in earlier radios and TV sets. They are in a crimped on, usually tapped insulated metal casing and it is usually riveted to the chassis.

The wire wound resistor inside the metal housing is most often tapped, but now and them you will find one that is not.

The main faults with these types of resistors are just very few.

One section opens. Really non repairable. The old techs used to jump a power resistor of the correct resistance and wattage rating over the bad section. (But if that section shorted to the chassis, it can cause the new resistor to quickly fail).
Quite difficult to find a replacement for them these days. I suggest using a wire wound power resistor with sliders to set the taps.

The resistors have a nasty habit of burning through the insulation inside the crimped on metal housing and the resistor shorting to the metal casing which is riveted to the chassis.

They were used in both TV sets and radios. 

In reality, I have seen very few actually open or short to ground. Rarely will the resistance wire inside short turns. They can get rather hot in operation. "Canned Ohms" came in a variety of wattages and resistance ratings too.

I listed the main failures, as unless you know what they are, it can be confusing and difficult to find one that has failed. 

Look them over carefully. Sometimes when they fail the thin Bakelite insulator in the resistor will show overheating or burn marks.
Back to top Go down

"Canned Ohm" resistors
Page 1 of 1