ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Something not quite right.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Something not quite right. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something not quite right.   Something not quite right. I_icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2023, 6:38 pm

Factory QC was not always that great, especially on Mondays and Fridays. (Like cars). Hangovers, domestic fights, and wanting to get the heck out of work for the weekend are common for poor workmanship.

I ran into one RCA console where no matter what I tried, I had one dead sw band. Finally had another tech look at it. Not my mistake, but he found that the FACTORY assembler had mis- connected a wire on the wafer on the band switch. It never worked from day 1 !!! 
I should have caught that one, but couldn't see the forest for the trees, looking for my own non-existent screwup. Embarassed

Radio worked perfectly after he moved the wire to where it was supposed to be. So no factory QC on that set. They typically just grab one off the assy. line every so often and test it. 

Please keep us up on your tests and findings. This is an interesting case.
Back to top Go down
so-tingly
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

PostSubject: Re: Something not quite right.   Something not quite right. I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2023, 5:56 am

Something not quite right. Connec10
Image of the underside of the 12SQ7.
You can see where pins 5,8,3,1 are connected. 
I'm going to cut the wire from pin5 at pin8 and swing it over to pin4 for starters.
Back to top Go down
so-tingly
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

PostSubject: Re: Something not quite right.   Something not quite right. I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2023, 5:41 am

wildcat445
I did that test on the hot end of the volume tab before I shelved it and measured the voltages. Unfortunately, it didn't work, total silence. I lost the paper with the voltage measurements and will have to repeat.
If you mean the power supply being the cathodes glowing, then yes. I checked continuity, with the power off and everything checks out. 
When I got this radio the first thing I did was replace all paper and filter caps and any bad resistors. The infamous shot gun approach... "bad idea" I don't do that anymore.
I'm going to start checking connections  and tests all over again.
Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
so-tingly
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

PostSubject: Re: Something not quite right.   Something not quite right. I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2023, 5:29 am

Frank B 
Yeah... I thought it looked a bit off but I thought it was me not reading thee schematic correctly. Seeing as the solder connections look factory made, I thought maybe they upgraded it for what ever reason. If that change they made it not work, How did it leave the factory in that condition?
I am going to change it per schematic to see what happens. If still there is no sound after that, I missed something somewhere.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Something not quite right.   Something not quite right. I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2023, 1:11 am

Pins 4 & 5 are the 2 diode plates in the 12SQ7. They are the detector and it's common practice to connect both in parallel.

Possibly they are connecting pin 5 to pin 8- the heater, but that makes no sense to me, as that could put hum from the filament into the radio if the plug was reversed.
The sch you drew shows one diode plate grounded. Has somebody rewired the radio- or just possibly if it was of WW2 era, they modded the radio because a SQ7 was not available.

I made a post a long time ago about tubes being subbed during the war, as no spares were available. Wiring changes were made to use other tubes.

I would rewire the radio per the schematic, if it was mine.

That is a hot chassis set and appears to have 2 different grounds. Don't be fooled by measuring to the wrong ground and use an isolation transformer when working on it. I blew breakers in the tech school working on a hot chassis set many decades ago, by not using an isolation tx.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Something not quite right.   Something not quite right. I_icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2023, 5:48 pm

The first thing I'd do is to touch the hot end of the volume control with your finger or an operating soldering iron and see if you get a large growl from the speaker.  A good audio section makes the same growl when you tickle its grid as a lion does when you twist his tail...

If no joy, then take some voltage measurements in the audio section.  The plate and screen of the output tube, the cathode of the rectifier.  Have you checked the power supply?  Have you recapped it or done other work?  Start at the speaker, then work back towards the antenna.

If this forum is like mine, the forum software won't let you download PDF files directly to the forum.  You have to have a downloads section or other such extensions that will allow posting PDF files.  There are conversion apps you can use as well, but those are above my pay grade.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
so-tingly
Member 25+ posts
Member 25+ posts

PostSubject: Something not quite right.   Something not quite right. I_icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2023, 10:50 am

Something not quite right. 20231016Something not quite right. Radiomuseum-admiral-continental-super-aeroscope-4220-d5-1601958%20(7)Something not quite right. Img_2011
Here's an odd one or maybe I'm missing something.
Once again I cannot upload the schematic file for this radio. I've been successful before but not this time. I had to take a pic.
I'm looking at the schematic against under the chassis. It could be me but the 12SQ6 wiring doesn't match up.
My crude drawing shows pin5 plate connects to pin8. On the schematic pin5 and 4 go to the IF can.
What am I missing something?
Tubes light up but no sound... not even a hum. 
Looks like the solder joins were factory made. I don't think anyone messed with it.
This is another one I put aside as a head scratcher a couple years back but never noticed the difference until now.
Thanks for any help anyone has to offer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something not quite right.   Something not quite right. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something not quite right.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Radio Repair Bench :: Radios -Tube type-
Jump to: