ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Radio vibrators

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Radio vibrators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio vibrators   Radio vibrators I_icon_minitimeMay 4th 2016, 7:37 pm

I forgot to mention that they come in various operating voltages and frequencies also.
I have some 2v,6v, 12v. and 28v volt ones here. (Possibly I even saw a 48volt one too.)
 The 2 volt generally operated off a Willard 2V wet cell in some old farm and "portable" radios.
 They also operated from 50 cy to 400 cycles too.
Be sure you use the correct frequency one in whatever equipment you are having to replace one in also. The wrong frequency vibrator output can damage the transformer.

Some car radios & commercial equipment used 100cycle vibrators and of course, all the military aircraft radios I ever saw used 400 cycle vibrators, as aircraft systems are mostly 400 cycle AC.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Radio vibrators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio vibrators   Radio vibrators I_icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2015, 6:28 pm

Also there were some vibrators I saw that by turning them 180 deg. in their socket, would let them operate on the reverse of the polarity of the DC incoming.
 IIRC, these were used in commercial equip. mainly about the time most big trucks and logging equipment were going from Pos. gnd. to  Neg gnd. (Some CB and aftermarket car radios also had this same feature).
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Radio vibrators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio vibrators   Radio vibrators I_icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2015, 4:43 pm

Vibrators come in different types and pin configurations too.
Some have a base- (or in some military ones 2 bases!), and can have from 3 pins upwards to ?

Some vibrators are plug in and some are wired in.

Some are non-synchronous and some are synchronous (self rectifying) types, and can operate at different frequencies too.

They can be either pos. or Neg. ground.

The solid state vibrator replacements are NOT forgiving of reversed polarity either.

Most non- synchronous vibrators are used in car radios, and "Vibra-Packs".
Synchronous were mostly used in 2 way radios and some other military and commercial equipment.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Radio vibrators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio vibrators   Radio vibrators I_icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2014, 8:25 pm

You can also "restore" a mechanical vibrator by putting a 40 W lamp in series with the contacts and briefly running 120V thru it.
It will burn off the crud on the points.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Radio vibrators Empty
PostSubject: Radio vibrators   Radio vibrators I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2012, 9:33 pm

Look at this web page.SS Vibrator Replacement

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Radio vibrators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio vibrators   Radio vibrators I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio vibrators
Page 1 of 1