ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 28th 2015, 10:23 am

Very nice,[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PostSubject: Re: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 27th 2015, 9:21 pm

This way?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Thanks Cliff !   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 27th 2015, 9:09 pm

Let me try again.

Will not work....must be my security settings.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 27th 2015, 9:33 am

Look in your posting window, there are a number of picture icons, edit tools, and such. The one that shows a picture with a disk is the one to use. First save your picture to your desktop for easy retrieval then use that picture. When you host it it will go to a photo hosting web page. Be sure and save the link on the hosting program as it assigns a number with the link, you insert this into your post by copy and paste.

PostSubject: 1923 Freed-Eisemann   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2015, 5:31 pm

I'm gonna try once more to post a pic for Cliff..... Smile

I just don't get it!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 12th 2015, 8:27 pm

Just what I am working on.  Not no ways finished.

Well...that didn't work...oh, well...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2015, 5:19 am

Thanks for all the help guys!
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 9th 2015, 10:33 pm

You can use a metal marking waterproof crayon, paint model ot automotive touch up,(Easy to artificially yellow or age the color),
or as mentioned above, lumber or kids crayons.
 I also expect a white nail polish would work too, again fairly easy to tint.
 Chalk won't work. Tried that myself, years back.
  Just put it on and wipe off the excess CAREFULLY!
I'd test a spot on the back of the knob before using anything too exotic, to make sure it doesn't negatively react with the knob material- like melt it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: To Clean or Not to Clean..   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 7th 2015, 4:34 pm

study Well...I'm glad to know that I did not dream this up.  I have seen some radios on E-Boob which look as though the dials have undergone a "dental tooth whitening" procedure; much too bright to look original.  <grin>

I will set my camera stuff up and send out some pics for Cliff.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 6th 2015, 5:18 pm

A picture of what your working on would help.  Cleaning with light action on a toothbrush should work well.  Even if the lines are a little light, well it is an old radio.  As Cliff indicated they can be carefully darken if you wish.
Jerry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To Clean or not to Clean   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 6th 2015, 1:46 am

Thanks Cliff...

Granted, I don't want to make this radio look brand new;  that would make it look fake, or too much like a reproduction.  I just want to give it a touch here and there.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2015, 11:15 pm

I am not familiar with that radio. If the markings are engraved, you could use a crayon, by rubbing it over the marks. There are micro point ink pens and paint pens also, but a steady hand is required.

Afterwards you could spray with Krylon clear crystal spray, to protect from wear.

PostSubject: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2015, 7:39 pm

My 1923 Freed-Eisemann.  The tuning knobs et al, could be cleaner, but I'm wary of scrubbing (even lightly) with a toothbrush.
Seems that somewhere, someplace on the net, I read about a kind of a paint or kind of "stuff" which would refill all the little divisions and numbers on these dials and make them like new.

Or....did I dream this up?

Mine aren't all that bad and there is no missing spots on any of them.  They are just dirty.  Tobacco stained.  I got all the tobacco staining off of the front with a little Windex and paper towels.  91 years of smoke on it.  Now I can see myself like a mirror!

Comments...Warnings....All welcome.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?   Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tuning knobs on Radios-To clean, or not to clean?
Page 1 of 1