ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

I was gripped in its clutches

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

I was gripped in its clutches Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2013, 3:04 pm

It's easy to do. At least for flat glass. You can get a glass cutter (scribe) at any hardware store. They have a tiny sharp wheel on one end and on the other there is a metal ball. Use a ruler for a guide so you get a straight line cut. You then start to bend the glass or tap it with the glass cutter. And hardware stores usually carry glass and you could bribe them to cut the glass for you. Idea
I was gripped in its clutches 51QB4047FXL._AA160_
As far as the round dial faces goodwill has a ton of clocks that you could use for round glass dials. I don't do numbers though. If the glass has numbers printed on it then and its broken I just bypass getting the radio.

There are some outfits that sell old time duplicate radio dials though.

No heat used at all, but gloves for safety and sandpaper for smoothing edges.

One thing that has always fascinated me is edge lit glass. I have thought about using glass acid and etching numbers in the glass dial if everything else fails. Then installing pilot lamps by the glass edges. The etched numbers will the glow from the light. Cool

PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2012, 1:56 pm

Cliff, what a great looking radio. Wish I would have seen it first!! I dont think you paid to much for it. Its all in what catches your eye. Keep us informed on the restoring and add pictures.
Also where do I start finding inofrmation on making glass dial faces. Looks like youguys make your own. I would assume this is a major project and much equipment would be needed to cut and heat glass???
I just received my capacitor order and bought a couple assortments. Ready to get started.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 3:45 pm

Cut plate glass to size and to just fit in the dial with an edge that just extends around the wooden dial opening. Then Glue in place. Use a rubber gasket around the glass to keep from cracking.

PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 3:10 pm

Cliff--How does one "jury rig" a glass face to replace an original plastic one?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2011, 10:31 pm

Yes I will recap, I just need to get an electrolytic cap order sent. Then watch the fireworks. affraid

PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2011, 2:47 pm

I always wonder about that Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2011, 4:47 am

Cliff, you have the same problem I, as well as others, have run across from time to time. Two, or more, experienced people who know their stuff and have been around radios, have the opposite opinion. Neutral

My own thinking is I would go with the electrolytics. Especially if that is what the set originally had. Not that it's the proper thing to do, but it's just that gut feeling I have, if that's worth anything? Very Happy

As for the dial cover, I have a couple of sets that I want to try making my own for using that heated pop bottle material. As well, I have put aside a few pieces of that somewhat thick plastic used in sealing various store bought items. You know the kind, it takes things like power shears to cut open to get the item out of? Laughing Even flat, they would make a good thick dial cover.

Let us know what you decide....................... Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2011, 8:34 am

Mine isn't quite that Purrdy but Close, just needs minor scruffing and scratches removed.
I saw an article on using PTFE plastic from a Soda 2 liter bottle and forming it in the oven, but I think glass will look better for the Dial cover.

I talked to a local Ham and He said I couldn't just replace the electrolytic if with non-polarized caps, and yet some on ARF say it's OK. What is your Ideas on that subject?
I guess Ill have to get some Electrolytics, Oh well!

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2011, 4:05 am

Man, what a beautiful set.

Strange how some sets just reach out to you isn't it? Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2011, 9:27 pm

A wooden Table radio grabbed me by the eyes and wouldn't let go.
An Emerson Model DS 436 (1940-1941) Slide Rule dial 9 tuber (including eye tube)
3 dial pointers -Two are vertical (volume and tone)and the main Horizontal (Tuning)
The higher numbers start on the right (weird to me))
3 gang tuning variable cap.
It must weigh at least 5-8 #
(my guess was off, its 30# and one of the biggest Emerson table radios that they made.)
The chassis must be removed from the bottom of the cabinet
The audio is push-pull and abt. 14-17 watts output. affraid
I went overboard and paid $54 Embarassed

But But But it Plays Cool
Still has minor hum so will replace caps eventually. Very Happy
It has an Ingraham Cabinet, Rather than replace the dial with plastic I'll jury rig a glass face.
Here's a picture that was restored by someone else:
I was gripped in its clutches Emerson_DS-436_Kusching

PostSubject: Re: I was gripped in its clutches   I was gripped in its clutches I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I was gripped in its clutches
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB :: Radio Repair Bench :: Radios -Tube type-
Jump to: