ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Model 47-1227

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

Model 47-1227 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Model 47-1227   Model 47-1227 I_icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2018, 3:17 pm

No sound.  Not good.  I assume you have plugged this in and tried it.  Again, not good.

I have several Philco sets and like them.  Built like a tank.  But I typically find they have salty filter caps.  I would not have plugged it in before those caps were changed.  No sound could mean something minor, such as a misadjusted control, or major such as a fried power transformer.  I would certainly not recommend turning the radio on again unless and until you are assured the power supply is repaired and in good condition.  You can then safely operate the set and restore or troubleshoot from that point.  Good luck.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down

Model 47-1227 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Model 47-1227   Model 47-1227 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2018, 6:35 am

Thanks, this should give me what i need to get started. I wanted to take an electronics course in high school but because there weren't enough signed up they cancelled the course, so I took the last two years of Air Conditioning. I am now 67 and fix most of my stuff except autos. they have escaped from my capabilities. But I'll have fun with this project. Thanks again. will be in touch as I progress.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Model 47-1227 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Model 47-1227   Model 47-1227 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2018, 1:01 pm

First thing is to unplug the radio for any repairs then to replace the power supply capacitors, They are usually big and may be in a metal can(s) if you don't and they are shorted they will destroy the power transformer immediately on turn on. Or that may be the problem. to check that will require testing the windings of the power transformer. Don't test with the power on. to test the transformer you have to disconnect its wires first, make sure that you note where each of the wires was soldered to. Check the primary side and it should have a high resistance reading. then check each of the secondaries, low resistance on the filament winding(s) and High on the high voltage secondaries. of any of the windings are open. then you have to replace or toss out the transformer. at that point, there is no going forward.

Heres a schematic and troubleshooting chart.
Thank you for your condolences.
Click Here for Schematic

Read this on Phils old Radios Beginners intro to repairs Click Here

there are so many possibilities of trouble. Do you hear any noise or hum from the loudspeaker?
If so your sound section may be working. the next thing to try is taking a transistor radio and put it on top of the console. have both radios on at 1/4 volume. Put both radios at the center frequency (1000Khz) move console radio dial first, the frequency from one end of the scale to the other.
You should get a squeal on the transistor radio at some point. If so then your oscillator section is working.
If not then you have either a bad tube or no B+. You can also test the tube filaments for continuity.
Use an ohmmeter to check the resistance, if you get infinity it is an open filament. Then tube replacement is required.

You can check the speaker by using a small battery across the speaker terminals, if you here a clicking noise, its OK.
It gets a lot more complicated if you don't have experience in radio theory and repair. Especially if you don't have radio test equipment. There are many books online in free PDF form that you can download. Just for beginners. Try what I told you first. Let us know about your results.

Model 47-1227 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Model 47-1227   Model 47-1227 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2018, 5:08 am

First off I don't know if new post or not but I'm sorry to hear about your sister. Prayors are with you.       I do Not have any experience with radio repair. i do manage to to get some things working by checking for loose wires and visible problems. I am very handy with tools. have done some resodering of electronics. had a electric fence gate on the farm that the radio board would get hit by lightning and found a guy who told me how to fix and i ordered the parts and fixed it. have done a lot of house wireing. i just need help on where to start. i do have a multimeter.  most tubes light up. i will give it a closer look today. thanks for any help.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Model 47-1227 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Model 47-1227   Model 47-1227 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2018, 8:23 pm

Do you have any experience with radio repairs?
Look up Amatuer Radio club, they could help.
Do the tubes light up? If yes then be sure you have B + , you can test that by using a multimeter.
Do you have test equipment? A little more information would help, including experience level.

Model 47-1227 Empty
PostSubject: Model 47-1227   Model 47-1227 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2018, 1:11 pm

I have a Philco Radio, Model# 47-1227. Has Tubes. Cab in good shape. has paper Model sticker intact. all knobs seem to work. channel selector works. Phono turns and all switches seem to operate it, but no sound. Where do i start. list of tubes are: 7F8, 6AG5, 6J5GT, 7x7,6BA6, 7R7, 6K6GT, 5AZ4. How can I test These Tubes?  Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Model 47-1227 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Model 47-1227   Model 47-1227 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Model 47-1227
Page 1 of 1