ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST post you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Need Help Logging In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work then Down at the bottom of the page, there is a Contact field that you can click on.
Any other usage, ( other than registration or Login Help) will be ignored. For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

Various Methods of Stringing Antennas

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Various Methods of Stringing Antennas   April 12th 2018, 7:18 pm

You can climb up a tree. Yeah, we all know that one...but... First make a run to the auto wrecking yard and get some old seat belt pieces at least 3' long, 4 of the mounting washers per end you want to mount in tree, and a long bolt and nut for each end.  Also a length of nylon marine grade rope( Do NOT use cotton rope) to reach ground X2 + a bit. Also a Delrin sheaved pulley.
 Wrap the seatbelt around the tree loosely. You don't cause damage to the tree, and you can remove it without damage if needed. Then make a hole in the seatbelt ends, and put a large washer on the bolt on both sides of the belt. Then attach the pulley to the rope and repeat the washers and add the nut. 
locknut is a good idea.
Thread the rope thru the pulley and drop both ends of it to the ground. (A weight helps here.)
  Ok, then add an insulator to one end of the rope, and attach your wire to the insulator.

Now you can pull it back up in the tree. Yes, you will have a lot of rope left, but don't cut it off.
You may need to drop the antenna some time for changing it or repair. ( Embarassed Don't ask. I hate climbing up 130+ feet.).

Now it should not cause damage to the tree, as the seat belt material will last years/decades and leaves room for the tree to expand. 
As far as the long rope end goes that's left- well tie 1/2 of a concrete block to it and let it hang a couple of feet above ground. Coil up the rest of the rope and put it in a heavy, UV proof bag and secure with a UV proof wire tie. You can secure it to the downrigger rope if desired.
 My last antenna survived over 20 years with this method, and the mounting was still re-usable after the tree rotted off its roots and fell to the ground.

You can use a bow with a fishing reel to shoot an arrow over tree limbs, and then use the fish line (min 60-80 lb test) to pull up a rope to attach the antenna to. Not really advisable in housing developments, or where you might injure someone. Use a sturdy line on the reel too.
Make sure the line can freewheel easily, or have it laid in a proper coil too.

Another method is to use a large 2 oz or a bit bigger "cannon ball" type sinker and a slingshot to get the line over a tree limb way up. Be sure to use at least a 60-80 lb or more test line too. Also make sure you have tied a really good knot to the sinker, and the line can freewheel easily from the coil or reel.
 If the line breaks the sinker can really fly much farther that you think, and can actually be fatal if it hits someone, (Think David & Goliath.) not to mention windows nearby.

If all else fails, erecting a long pole (Large diameter PVC Sked 600 or heavier), or a tower works too.
 (Having your XYL or kid sit on the roof holding one end is not a good idea either. tongue )
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Various Methods of Stringing Antennas   April 14th 2018, 4:42 am

Frank, you're shooting down all the ideas I would use. I thought we were supposed to try and include the family in our hobby? Twisted Evil 

I have also used heavy line used for whipper snippers too in place of rope. A tad more difficult to tie in a knot, but it still worked.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Various Methods of Stringing Antennas   April 14th 2018, 3:17 pm

You mean Sky Hooks don't work? What's a Sky you ask? We used to tell helpers and apprentices when the had to carry tool bags or small equipment on to Ships, rather than haul heavy and cumbersome stuff up the gangway use a skyhook.
Still had a lot of fun with the newbees. Of course it was just a Crane.
Of course if you have enough money call a tree trimmer and have them do the work.

PostSubject: Re: Various Methods of Stringing Antennas   April 14th 2018, 4:58 pm

Yup, I remember skyhooks. With us in the welding/metal fabrication side, we used to send the new guy for what he thought was a long weight. What it really got was a long wait at the tool counter. Very Happy Very Happy

Then, there would be the return trip to the tool box for a metric adjustable wrench when he brought us a regular one instead. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Various Methods of Stringing Antennas   April 20th 2018, 4:35 am

Of course if you have enough money call a tree trimmer and have them do the work

One of my ham radio friends did this.  He had the tree climber put an eye bolt in a pine tree 70 feet up. This tree only has branches above that hight so it makes it easy to raise and lower different antennas. We have a 2 meter net every Thursday night and he always has a great signal with a simple J-pole.

I have the money but not the tree!  Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Various Methods of Stringing Antennas   April 20th 2018, 12:13 pm

And of course the proverbial Left and right handed Box wrenches.

PostSubject: Re: Various Methods of Stringing Antennas   

Back to top Go down

Various Methods of Stringing Antennas
Page 1 of 1