ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST post you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  
Can't Log In?: 1st. thing is to clean out your cookies. if that doesn't work , click on Contact field.
Any other usage, ( other than registration or Login Help) will be ignored. For other questions go to our FAQs link above.

Share | 

I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   May 21st 2018, 3:08 pm

Did you know there were 2 different types of Phillips head screws?
 Well there are.
 Here you are trying to remove that screw from your imported stereo with a Phillips [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or 2 bit, and you can't get it out. It just rounds out the slot.
 Well after getting tired of trying to open stereos that came in for service with damaged screw heads, and having to either grind them out or cut them out with a cold chisel I did an experiment.
 I took a couple of the screws with me to every hardware & tool store in my area to try to find a screwdriver that actually fit- PROPERLY.
 I spent the better part of a day running from store to store, as no one I called had any idea as to what A Phillips [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ISO head screw was.-

Results:
 Snap On- No
Craftsman- No
Stanley- No
No No No No No.
Until...
 I found that besides the very spendy Xcelite [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and 2 screwdrivers (The tips would wear out quickly, and only one store in the area carried them); Home Depot was the only place that had a screwdriver that fit.
 Their HUSKY  Phillips [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] & 2 screwdrivers had the proper ISO tips to fit the imported screws. LIFETIME WARRANTY TOO!!!

Seems the ISO screws have a bit deeper recessed slot that the American Phillips screwdrivers, and a slightly different slot size. (Likely Metric).

So when I purchased several of the Husky brand screwdrivers, my problems were solved.

As a side note: NONE of the stores I visited salespersons had any idea of what an ISO spec. screw even was. When I showed them the ISO screw and how a standard U.S. Phillips driver failed to properly fit it, they were either astounded or could have cared less.

So for U.S. made antique radios and TV sets, the standard screwdrivers are just fine; but if you want to work on any imported Asian or European electronics, get a Husky [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] & 2 screwdriver from Home Depot. It WILL fit!
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   May 22nd 2018, 9:57 am

I have also had good luck with Home Depot where screwdrivers are concerned.  There is also a "prince reed" screwdrive which looks exactly like a phillips screwdriver!  You can end up with the same problems between a "robertson and a square drive.

I was working on a Canadian radio that had square drive robertson screws with size [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  Try to find a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] square drive screwdriver!  Home Depot had it on their website and had it at my store in 48 hours!

BTW

Has anyone noticed the Craftsman displays in the Lowes stores?
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   May 22nd 2018, 12:40 pm

Craftsman is also being sold in Ace hardware, but Ace refuses to honor the warranty unless it was bought from them, per the Westside Ace Hardware employee there.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   May 22nd 2018, 4:23 pm

I tried the same thing at Home Depot they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Vessle screwdrivers are the best ones to use but as was said expensive but Japanese quallity.
Heres a Link they are called JIS screwdrivers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When is a Phillips screwdriver not a Phillips screwdriver?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   May 23rd 2018, 6:54 pm

Correct, they have no idea as to what an ISO screw is.

(A phillips screwdriver is not Milk of Magnesia & vodka either) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   May 23rd 2018, 6:56 pm

From your link on JIS screwdrivers; 

Ever wondered why your Phillips screwdrivers keep rounding out on your Honda screws?

Yes I did (years ago) and now I know why 
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   May 24th 2018, 9:20 am

I just purchased a 3 SCREWDRIVER  JIS set from Miata (SP?) Cost was $ 33 + $ 8.00 shipping.
I hope the cost is worth it.

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   May 27th 2018, 12:57 am

Cliff- OUCH!
The entire set of ISO Phillips types and flat blades at Home Depot were under $15.00.
IIRC there were like 10 drivers in the package.
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   May 27th 2018, 1:54 am

Oh, I also forgot to mention that ISO SLOT screws sometimes require a metric flat blade screwdriver too.
 Got nailed on that one a few times where my flat blade refused to fit properly in the slot.
Back to top Go down
Conelrad

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   June 4th 2018, 8:55 pm

What you have may well be a Reed & Prince screw.

I've used a number of them over the years for Bell System gear.

More info:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dennis
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   June 5th 2018, 3:31 pm

Nope, not Reed & Prince. Tried that type of screwdriver. Slot is too narrow and deep on a Reed Prince type. Its a different fish, like Clutch Head screws.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws   

Back to top Go down

I've Been Screwed! U.S. VS ISO Phillips Screws
Page 1 of 1